Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #51
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
For the starters, we're talking scholarship? Or citizenship?
For the seconds, 1st generation dunnid serve NS

For the thirds, I tutored a few China kids, and I must say, the effort they put in and the sacrifice the parents make more den justify their choice to stay or go bck, or greener pasture.

Oh ya... They have to maintain their grades, or b sent bck in disgrace.. U think the stress for them is less den any other kids?

I personally put it dwn to edu system and mindset more den putting blame on scholarships
umh
these tutored FTs i guess are not scholars right?
something is wrong with selection if they are on scholarships

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #52
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmizze View Post
Has anyone ever wondered why we need foreign scholars here? From University down to primary school. Why is it so important to have these scholars (whom most would think is unfair because they are relatively advanced) in schools with our children?
The same reason havard, Cambridge etc give out scholarship
Coz these kids deserve it

Why shd anyone give anything to ppl who whine and think everything is their birthright without working hard enough?

The potential of a human brain is so amazing, of which certain aspects are only drawn during desperation or stress...

Btw, there's a gd num who end up staying la. Dun b so negative

My ex neighbors now holds pink ic, and has opened a few childcare ctr in the estate. She's also volunteering with some welfare grp.
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #53
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Even if they are put in the same school, the teachers n principal also segregate them from the locals. They are excused from certain activities like going old folks home (no punishment if they didnt go), extra "tutoring" lessons, etc... The school already make them an Elite team in a class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
then how you integrate them into society?
the interaction makes them have emotional attachment to SG.

segregate them, if they remain & settle here without Singaporean societal immersion, will create a separate class the Elite Foreign Talent.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #54
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
umh
these tutored FTs i guess are not scholars right?
something is wrong with selection if they are on scholarships
Nope. But one of them ended up on local scholarship due to his additional talent in sport.

But really... The effort they put in is scary. The way the kids motivate themselves is even scarier. They absorb things like sponge. Juz gettin 1 local kd to sit thru 2 hrs is bad Enuff.. Those kids asked for more.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #55
elmizze
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoran View Post
The government would want them to build their roots here and called SGP home from an early age, thereby increasing the population and subsequently maintain that economic growth.
really ah??
elmizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #56
Guppies Onli
Dragon

I think these are 2 separate and different issues we are talking about : basic education from primary to secondary and working.

Primary and secondary education are heavily subsidised by our country for our locals and in some schools, vacancies are limited. These scholars are offered scholarship to come to our country to study.

With limited vacancies, I'm not sure if say vacancies are reserved for them first then locals, or locals first then these scholars?? How transparent and try asking the principals of the school.

Next, the MOE scholarship offered to primary and secondary school students. In primary sch, it's easy to get as there may not be any scholars or few onli. But in secondary sch, if there are say 20 scholars and the top 10%, then left maybe 30 places for locals eligible for scholarship. These 20 scholars are not eligible for the MOE scholarship as they already have scholarship, but when come to computing, are they included in the top 10%? Anyone knows? Ask principal also dun want to answer.

It's not about whinning or ranting, but as S'porean I feel that such basic education should be more reserved for locals. Ask any secondary students with scholars, are the introduction of scholars in their class motivate them to study harder???

During my era in the 70s, I had Vietmese, Cambodian, Indonesian and Malaysian classmate but they are no scholars. They paid higher fees and onli allowed in if they were vacancies after all the locals are given a place in school. Their results are average like us. These I personally feel is ok as no preferences are given to them.

Next, working is different from basic education as it's not subsidised by the country. There is no scholarship with limited vacancies too. So we can't compare these 2 issues together.

Juz my thoughts.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #57
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Those scholars already on scholarship offered by our country and the other group are juz normal foreign students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
Nope. But one of them ended up on local scholarship due to his additional talent in sport.

But really... The effort they put in is scary. The way the kids motivate themselves is even scarier. They absorb things like sponge. Juz gettin 1 local kd to sit thru 2 hrs is bad Enuff.. Those kids asked for more.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #58
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetraS View Post
Very weird, dun know why the gahmen let in so many kinds of internationals here to misunderstand each other.
For this reason:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_622764.html

7 out of 11 thats 64%
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #59
satan_gal
Dragon

Ehhh if I not wrong, Pri have vacancies.. A matter of where nia..

Too far, too ulu...
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #60
denser
Dragon

the gahmen just wan us to wake up, brush up and compete with FT...tell you dun listen, listen dun do, so brought them in to awaken everybody up.
denser is offline   Reply With Quote