Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 24-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #51
Aro77
Dragon

im a noob in water parameters but from what i think ,

BB require only

1) A house for them to colonize, ammonia for food, and good amount of dissolved oxygen in the water.

and so far i also any how place my media in my sump tank and filter box ( which ever position is easier for me to place & take out for cleaning and dont really think its forcing the water to so call go through them , but then the water parameters is still quite good in my high bioload tanks. and for my DIY ''filter box'' using those 3 2 1 blue tubs , i any how place the media around , with water inlet at 1 end , and at the other end over flow hole for the water to go out back into fgt , and the water parameters touch wood is still quite ok. so maybe i guess as long as our BB can colonize and get the requirements they need to live , it doesn't matter if we are forcing their so called ''food'' ( the ammonia in the water ) to go into their house for them to eat etc... summary - in my opinion as long as they got a place to live ( BH ) underwater where there's ammonia , they will know how to ''eat'' the ammonia.. we wont need to spoon feed them

then again im a noob in water parameters , these are just my thoughts.
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #52
Aro77
Dragon

well to each his own , i guess as long as how ever we set up our filtration system and they are working the way they should then thats about it
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #53
vic
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Songz hor!
You think water ain't flowing through it in my sump?
boss,

In the video, the water is flowing thru the block is because its dry to start with so as the water is pour onto its surface... it will soak it up (I guess its due to its clay like property its made of) until its full before dripping out via gravity.

In the sump tank, the block is going to behave differently. as the water is flowing horizontally across and cuz the block oready saturated with water when u first submerged it inside.

Water will always look for the least resistant path to flow...flowing thru the block will take up too much energy than flowing around it. With ur sump, theres too much space between the gaps.. most of the water will flow around the block then thru it.

So now compared to ur former media... ur media surface area for the bacteria to colonize is less than compared to the smaller media like ceramic ring.

U have to totally close the gap and force more water to go thru the block to maximise the effectiveness of the media.
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #54
Zhuoyuting
Dragon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic View Post
boss,

In the video, the water is flowing thru the block is because its dry to start with so as the water is pour onto its surface... it will soak it up (I guess its due to its clay like property its made of) until its full before dripping out via gravity.

In the sump tank, the block is going to behave differently. as the water is flowing horizontally across and cuz the block oready saturated with water when u first submerged it inside.

Water will always look for the least resistant path to flow...flowing thru the block will take up too much energy than flowing around it. With ur sump, theres too much space between the gaps.. most of the water will flow around the block then thru it.

So now compared to ur former media... ur media surface area for the bacteria to colonize is less than compared to the smaller media like ceramic ring.

U have to totally close the gap and force more water to go thru the block to maximise the effectiveness of the media.
LIke your detail explanation..
Zhuoyuting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:02 PM   #55
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic View Post
boss,

Yes I'm well aware water flows in least resistant path. But it's not the case whereby no water is flowing through the block now. Ultimately I will fill up the gaps with sphere Marine Pure as the current setup is the best I can do. In the end I wanted to see the performance of Marine Pure. Especially when I did such major change.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #56
LauLanChu
Dragon

Did some read out this block supposed to act as nitrification (remove ammonia and nitrite ) and dinitrification (remove nitrate). So I supposed it cultured both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria. Not to worry water don't flow through as long as is submerged in water fully .
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:03 PM   #57
vadriewyn
Arofanatic

Actually the MarinePure website does state that the media can be placed inside the tank as well. Efficiency is a whole different ballgame. However, I believe even a mild flow is sufficient since its supposed to be highly porous.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
vadriewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #58
satan_gal
Dragon

ok, been like 2 weeks liao?

How's the blocks holding up?
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #59
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan_gal View Post
ok, been like 2 weeks liao?

How's the blocks holding up?
Its been one week.

All is good.

Fishes do not show any sign of stress at any point.

I continue to do the regular 2x weekly WC.

Daily feeding and feed quantity is as usual. All fishes eating like pigs as usual.

Finally, I've been nursing a Sakura Ray recovering from poor health (Pelvic Bones showing and all). This media change did not affect her and in fact her appetite continues to improve steadily.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #60
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Its been one week.

All is good.

Fishes do not show any sign of stress at any point.

I continue to do the regular 2x weekly WC.

Daily feeding and feed quantity is as usual. All fishes eating like pigs as usual.

Finally, I've been nursing a Sakura Ray recovering from poor health (Pelvic Bones showing and all). This media change did not affect her and in fact her appetite continues to improve steadily.
How long u gonna leave it as it is till you fill up the spaces?
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote