Arofanatic

hey there !!! ...jus got back to Betta hobby once again =\

i will have to say NO !!! to betta trimming or saloon =D
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #22
Imbellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTX View Post
Imo, if the trimmed fish can pass through the judges' eye; I have to respect the "trimmer".
Hi bro,
many judges can spot if a fish is cut or not, but they normally would give the benefit of doubt as there is no way to proof that the fish has gone through the "salon". So most trimmed fish can pass through the judges' eyes hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by afters View Post
To me, betta fin trimmers are in the same league as parrot fish tattooists and snakehead spine benders.
I agree with you. There's too many types of fish that are "man-made" and people still buy them? I guess education plays a big role to teach people to appreciate the fish for what they are
Imbellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #23
MOTX
Dragon

Exactly, and with that i respect the trimmers with great skill.
MOTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
CullTail
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbellis View Post
I guess education plays a big role to teach people to appreciate the fish for what they are..
.... and to cull the fish for what they are too
CullTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #25
Alvin_Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTX View Post
Imo, if the trimmed fish can pass through the judges' eye; I have to respect the "trimmer".

As far as I know, able to trim it well, takes a lot of experience to achieve.

Many winning sportsmen consume steroids, and never get caught, too.
Yes . . . there's a similarity. As it is not uncommon for both cases administered with the "right timing" before official competition so that detection is "less likely" . . .

Mr.G, I'm not going to ask you about your "personal experience" with steriods . . .
Old 13-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #26
MOTX
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin_Tan View Post
Yes . . . there's a similarity. As it is not uncommon for both cases administered with the "right timing" before official competition so that detection is "less likely" . . .

Mr.G, I'm not going to ask you about your "personal experience" with steriods . . .
Park the steroid thing at chatter box
MOTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:25 AM   #27
hiisoka
Dragon

Exclamation

Got a couple of bettas to keep for fun nowadays after a long hiatus.

Heard alot of interesting things and wonder if it's true. But specifically on fin cutting for comps.

I heard now we've got people offering professional "grooming" services a nicer term for trimming the fins for fishes taking part in comps. And openly accepted as a norm too. Plus also some of these fishes not only dont get DQ but get category champions even grand champion.
And even advertising the service and credentials proudly.
Maybe im old fashioned and thats the trend nowadays, morals, ethics,cruelty to animals notwithstanding.

I wonder if any judges can / cannot tell if it's a trimmed fish nowadays? Or the stand of comp organizers on this? Very curious how the hobby evolve into the current state. Especially from all that was said years ago. I know things change but instead of progression we got a regression. I wonder what is the catalyst.

But of course probably no one cares about all this anymore. The people who did probably all left. And its a ghost town here. But i thought i'll try my luck to elicit a response since the forum is still intact and im feeling nostalgic. Also to see if theres any old ghosts wandering in here like me.
hiisoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:26 AM   #28
hiisoka
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbellis View Post
Hi bro,
many judges can spot if a fish is cut or not, but they normally would give the benefit of doubt as there is no way to proof that the fish has gone through the "salon". So most trimmed fish can pass through the judges' eyes hehe

I agree with you. There's too many types of fish that are "man-made" and people still buy them? I guess education plays a big role to teach people to appreciate the fish for what they are
I guess education failed. Or taken a backseat lol
hiisoka is offline   Reply With Quote