Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 03-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Carz

Question Dymax pH Meter

I'm considering a pH meter and saw the Dymax pH Meter and like the black colour, blue led and slim looks very much cos it goes very well with my black Fluval Edge with modded blue moonlight LED. I'll be keeping shellies in pH9+/-.

However, I got a few qns before buying:
  1. I read from Wiki "Calibration should be performed with at least two standard buffer solutions that span the range of pH values to be measured" However, lfs and even Dymax showroom comment only need pH7. So do we need 2 points calibration for accuracy? If using only pH7 is not accurate, won't it then defeats the purpose of using a pH meter. Who is correct?
  2. I see Pinpoint pH Meter has pH10 calibration i.e. pH4 & pH10 uses the same "slope". Dymax's only has pH7 and pH4 buffer solution and not pH10. Does that means it does not allow the same? If so, will it affects accuracy between pH7 and pH10? If it allows the same, does that means I should use other brand buffer solution for pH7 and pH10?
  3. Double confirm Dymax's probe can be full submerged in water?
  4. Is Dymax's an OPR meter as well but need a different probe?
  5. Anyone knows of a similar good looking pH meter that I can consider?
Thanks!
Carz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Carz

Oh almost forgot, where can I get it at best price? Lowest quoted so far is $155, buffering solution $9 to $10 each.

One bro says he got at $135 in Feb this year from Seaview/Nanyang but they refused to quote me over the phone but says higher than $135.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
cedric_sunny
Dragon

Bro, I guess that's their usual practise not to quote over the phone. Better to go there to see. I also check with them a few times, also say no price quoting on the phone.
cedric_sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Carz

Sorry I forgot to mentioned lady over the phone says is their policy. I don't blame them but leh chey to go down just to check price cos I've already seen the product elsewhere but couldn't make up my mind to purchase.

I'm more concern with my qns in post 1.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Carz

This Digital pH Monitor Tester Meter Adapter Thermometer also fits my needs being small & mountable, colour matching and furthermore with thermometer which I'll be getting separately anyway but I guess nobody knows how's the quality?

At 1/3 the price of Dymax's should I consider as I'm thinking a pH meter in my small tank is already overkill or small tank pH fluctuates even more thus all the more I need one? I guess if it's reasonably accurate and last at least 1 yr, it would have more than justifies the low price. I don't like the idea of using a pen cos if I do, I would have considered a test kit.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
ymmij
Senior Dragon

ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
PNT Guy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz View Post
Oh almost forgot, where can I get it at best price? Lowest quoted so far is $155, buffering solution $9 to $10 each.

One bro says he got at $135 in Feb this year from Seaview/Nanyang but they refused to quote me over the phone but says higher than $135.
$155 is enough for you to buy a pinpoint ph meter already with pH7.000 and pH10.000/pH4.000 calibration liquid with an add of a green note its enough for you to buy a ac to dc adapter for the pinpoint pH meter.
PNT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Carz

Bro petermax and PNT Guy, thanks for the headsup. Really appreciate it. You guys pointed out my exact dilemma. A smarter and practical choice would have been Pinpoint. I'll give it a serious consideration over my need to mount it on the front of my small tank canopy.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
winq

i've been using pinpoint ph meter for ard 2 mths. so far so good.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
PNT Guy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carz View Post
Bro petermax and PNT Guy, thanks for the headsup. Really appreciate it. You guys pointed out my exact dilemma. A smarter and practical choice would have been Pinpoint. I'll give it a serious consideration over my need to mount it on the front of my small tank canopy.
For me i won't even consider as a pinpoint pH meter i bought ard last mth cost $145 only while your dymax pH meter cost $155 lowest quoted to you so far...
For me i also bought a AC to DC adapter($15) for the ph meter to run by the power supply.
Just my 2cents
PNT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibration, dymax, ph meter