Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
whitedash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfrontosa View Post
Bro it's not a matter of what kind of house you live in it is how you decorate your tanks, your experience and the way you keep your fishes, how you play with the filtrations, maintain your pH and such to let your fishes thrive that ends up a good result and accomplishment in this hobby. Put in effort and passion into it and you'll get the kind of satisfaction when you reach their stage.
End of the day it's just a hobby, never compare just do our best
Well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
whitedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfrontosa View Post
Bro it's not a matter of what kind of house you live in it is how you decorate your tanks, your experience and the way you keep your fishes, how you play with the filtrations, maintain your pH and such to let your fishes thrive that ends up a good result and accomplishment in this hobby. Put in effort and passion into it and you'll get the kind of satisfaction when you reach their stage.
End of the day it's just a hobby, never compare just do our best
Basically, I meant bigger houses have more spaces for more tanks bro, nothing more to it. In fact I was totally surprised when I saw their collections. It never occurred to me that right here in Singapore (Tanganyikan cichlids are NOT as popular & thriving as in Europe) there are actually people like Kenneth/ecTan/etc that has such a HUGE collection! Kudos to them and happy that its because of people like them that kept the tanganyikan craze alive still.

As u all know, keeping tanganyikan cichlids is NOT cheap. And poor chap like me (retired since many years ago) .....there's a saying >> "You Xin, Wu Li". Since I started back on keeping fishes in April, I've spent more than $5k on this hobby (fishes/accessories) and I still want more and more tanks/fishes, but due to space constraints....it's hard to fulfil my wishes. Thus, my next project would be to get 3 tiers stands so I can get more tanks.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
Brichardi
Dragon

Default Angelfish fries

Day 7 >> Fries are free swimming now, about 50++ of them I think.

Now is the real challenge >> raising them on dried food instead of newly hatched brine shrimp. Fries are very small, slightly bigger than bettas fries only. I'm not optimistic about it but will try my best. Keep you guys posted.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #24
Brichardi
Dragon

Default Angelfish fries

Day 10 >> All fries gone!! Amusingly, 1 guppy from another tank managed to jump into it and cleared everything. She took the risks by jumping over (From another tank on another stand next to it) and well deserved the meal I guess.

Next project, I will just separate the angelfish pair into a tank of their own, since I heard they breed easily (every 2 weeks) from the first spawn. Let's see how it goes from there.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Brichardi
Dragon

Default Callochromis macrops

My macrops are always spawning but they can't seem to hold their eggs. Longest one was holding for 7 days but gave up. Shame as they need to hold it for 3 weeks to then spit out the fries. Most likely reasons for them not holding is 1) community tank - co-existing with other species 2) not enough females to distract the 3 horny males; Hence my next project is to try out different methods: 1) Let it hold for 5~7 days and then strip them or 2) move the holding females to a tank of their own.

My current project is >> 2) I've separated 2 holding females to a tank of their own and see how many days they can hold the eggs. 3 weeks is a long time but let's wait and see how it goes. Wish me luck!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
Brichardi
Dragon

Default Angelfish spawn again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
Day 10 >> All fries gone!! Amusingly, 1 guppy from another tank managed to jump into it and cleared everything. She took the risks by jumping over (From another tank on another stand next to it) and well deserved the meal I guess.

Next project, I will just separate the angelfish pair into a tank of their own, since I heard they breed easily (every 2 weeks) from the first spawn. Let's see how it goes from there.
Day 11 >> lol The pair spawn again, sadly in the community tank. Too bad, I'm really out of tanks to separate the parents + eggs out or else I would. I have 7 pcs of angelfishes and from the look of it, there are 3 pairs.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Brichardi
Dragon

Default Angelfish spawn again!

Quote:
Day 11 >> lol The pair spawn again, sadly in the community tank. Too bad, I'm really out of tanks to separate the parents + eggs out or else I would. I have 7 pcs of angelfishes and from the look of it, there are 3 pairs.
Day 12 >> All eggs gone, I have the privilege of seeing them eating the whole cluster in 3 mins, sharing with another angelfish + 1 brichardi. Good healthy meal!

Will separate the pair to spawn in a tank of their own in future when I have spare tank.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Brichardi
Dragon

Default Callochromis macrops

Quote:
My macrops are always spawning but they can't seem to hold their eggs. Longest one was holding for 7 days but gave up. Shame as they need to hold it for 3 weeks to then spit out the fries. Most likely reasons for them not holding is 1) community tank - co-existing with other species 2) not enough females to distract the 3 horny males; Hence my next project is to try out different methods: 1) Let it hold for 5~7 days and then strip them or 2) move the holding females to a tank of their own.

My current project is >> 2) I've separated 2 holding females to a tank of their own and see how many days they can hold the eggs. 3 weeks is a long time but let's wait and see how it goes. Wish me luck!
Day 2 >> 1 female spat out her eggs....about 20 of them as they laid 'fungus-ing' on the bare bottom tank. The other female still holding but not promising. Thinking of stripping her of she ever holds 1 week.....
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #29
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Day 2 >> 1 female spat out her eggs....about 20 of them as they laid 'fungus-ing' on the bare bottom tank. The other female still holding but not promising. Thinking of stripping her of she ever holds 1 week.....
Day 3 >> Last holding female also spat out her eggs and fungused on bottom of tank. Project failed!

P/S: Is there any chance to close a thread...example like this one as I think I'm the one blabbering away and correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like most people just prefer to post whenever they needed help/advice or buy/sell and only a few peeps bother to share their experiences? Peace out!
Old 17-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #30
whitedash
Arofanatic

Telmatochromis temporalis

Courtesy of Raymond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
whitedash is offline   Reply With Quote