Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 18-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #21
rumraisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackietan View Post
thanks for sharing, will apply this method on my aros
if have chance to... cheers !
bro, hopefully your aros will stay healthy & beautiful so that you will never get the chance to...

Old 18-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #22
ydolphin
Endangered Dragon

Interesting...and thanks for sharing ..
Old 18-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
rumraisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannn View Post
this is very interesting..

but i just have a couple of quesitons becuase im curious.
so you keep the aro in the water while massaging it?? and after you massage it.. the extra gill floppy part at the end will be gone (how? will it like fall off.... or deteriorate.. or just recede slowly?)

great way to treat the aro tho!
weighing the pros and cons, one of good things on using this method is minimizing the ordeal the aro has to go thru. so yes, aro stays in water during the whole process. the afflicted gill will soften as you massage. depending on the size of aro and the condition of gills, the membrane may not recede completely right afterwards. you need to wait for the gill membrane to reconstruct itself during the healing period. so after the OP, ideal water parameter is very important.

Old 18-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #24
AroHong

AFC Member

IMHO I believe that gill curl is the end result of bad water management. It happened to me before, for me this happened after a long overdue water change.
I was taught and managed to cure it using this method:

Install a powerhead (preferably with variable output adjustment, adjust to ensure output is strong enough to encourage the fish to swim against the flow but not so strong as to get swept away and hide.

Add a bit of Japanese yellow power (anti bateria).

Do daily water change (with anti chorine - I have no aged water) of around 10% and continue until gill is back in normal position.

I suspect besides "bad water" gill curl is the result of drastic PH difference between old water in the tank and new water during water change, that's why treatment involves daily water change.

Point to note is that this method is only effective if the gill curl is at the soft membrane stage, if the hard membrane is affected, I don't think even operation will help.

I hope I remember all the steps correctly, btw this was the free advice given to me by Eugene of Ark when I approached him for op one day after the gill curl occurred. Hope this helps.
Old 18-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #25
rumraisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolngoh View Post
Hmmmm why not use ice or a few drops of transmore.

Chasing the aro could result in it jumping out or banging the glass really hard(I heard from my friend that bang glass hard can die, haven't experience it myself), barbel damage or worse.

How do you avoid that?
good pts bro...

there are situations where using transmore is a must. i.e. eye surgery; extra long flights, etc. for a short & simple OP like the gill curl, using transmore MAY become a risk.

if you keep the tank's water at a very low level & follow procedure #2,#3,#4, and be real gentle with your mov't, the fish should be okay. there's no set rule to go about it, since very aro has different temperament. but just be GENTLE yet firm. rest assured you're doing a good thing for it, your aro will appreciate you afterwards. being skittish here is not a good thing... might even spook the aro to do the things you mentioned!

Old 18-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #26
rumraisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by el993 View Post
Excellent info bro you contribute here! Let this "I've got the solution to..." carry on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehi View Post
great education...thank you for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydolphin View Post
Interesting...and thanks for sharing ..
thank you all for taking the time to read it.... really hope this could be helpful in some way!

Old 18-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #27
WATARI"18

any method may apply,as for bro arohong the method is more suitable to cure aro coz this method is introuduce long ago. so as for bro rumraisin..method is still new doesnt mean is not suitable to use..but frankly specking,is quite diffcult for this method to cure aro gills curl..no offence,juz my point of view..

Old 18-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #28
rumraisin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATARI"18 View Post
any method may apply,as for bro arohong the method is more suitable to cure aro coz this method is introuduce long ago. so as for bro rumraisin..method is still new doesnt mean is not suitable to use..but frankly specking,is quite diffcult for this method to cure aro gills curl..no offence,juz my point of view..
by no means this method should be considered new. i learned of it like almost 20 yrs ago. pls don't ask me my age but i did get started on arokeeping when i was pretty young. like many of you, i was skeptical when i first heard of this method. all i could say is i've tried it out and it works! i was very excited about sharing this well-kept secret. i call it as such before no one ever talks about it and yet it has served me very well many times. as much as i like to share, i was also very reluctant to bring forth this info not knowing how well u bros will accept it. anywho, i hope none of u will ever need to use it. BUT, if u ever, after weighing all choices, decided to try it and were successful, pls PM me & share your joy with me. that's all i ask for...no need to buy me chicken rice lunch, but then again that might be nice!

Old 18-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
WATARI"18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumraisin View Post
by no means this method should be considered new. i learned of it like almost 20 yrs ago. pls don't ask me my age but i did get started on arokeeping when i was pretty young. like many of you, i was skeptical when i first heard of this method. all i could say is i've tried it out and it works! i was very excited about sharing this well-kept secret. i call it as such before no one ever talks about it and yet it has served me very well many times. as much as i like to share, i was also very reluctant to bring forth this info not knowing how well u bros will accept it. anywho, i hope none of u will ever need to use it. BUT, if u ever, after weighing all choices, decided to try it and were successful, pls PM me & share your joy with me. that's all i ask for...no need to buy me chicken rice lunch, but then again that might be nice!
wow,20 years ago..tat a long way run. yup,what u said is true..coz of your method is new in here if i want to buy u lunch oso cannot,i here n u at there..

Old 18-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #30
BuWaC

Great infos and great Q&A session, thanks for sharing