Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Default My first cabinet tank+sump from YH.

I ordered a 5.5x2.5x2.5ft tank from YH on the last day of 2011. Had to be 5.5ft because 5.5ft is the max size which can move up my narrow stair case according to ah soon.

Ill be using my previously used media to fill up the sump tank (standard 4x1.5x1.5).

Media will consist of mr aqua cr, biohome, eheim cr. Basically if not enough to fill up, will purchase more to fill.

But just how many fish I can have inside with my sump tank size?

Tentatively, confirmed tankmates are, 3 gars, 1 aro, 1pbb, 1IT.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
llewellyn
Dragon

What you already have (livestocks) is good.
The temptation is always there to go out and get more fishes but practise refrain ....

i also want to get another tank .....
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

But how much more can I stock with a sump of this size?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9900 View Post
But how much more can I stock with a sump of this size?
How frequent is your WC & how much is your feedings bro?

Personally, I am overloading my 422 with at least 20+ live stocks (1 aro, 3 tigers, 1 severum, ~20 bichirs) and doing weekly wc but with overkill in filtration (2 x 2260 & 1 x OHF). Daily feeding pellets and alternate days feeding mp. My current tank water parameter is still acceptable.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
danielkoh23
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9900 View Post
I ordered a 5.5x2.5x2.5ft tank from YH on the last day of 2011. Had to be 5.5ft because 5.5ft is the max size which can move up my narrow stair case according to ah soon.

Ill be using my previously used media to fill up the sump tank (standard 4x1.5x1.5).

Media will consist of mr aqua cr, biohome, eheim cr. Basically if not enough to fill up, will purchase more to fill.

But just how many fish I can have inside with my sump tank size?

Tentatively, confirmed tankmates are, 3 gars, 1 aro, 1pbb, 1IT.
aiyo bro... should have asked Ah Soon to max out your sump tank size ma... 522 should be the max and just nice... and dun forget additonal medias...

i have good and cheaper source to all the CRs and medias.... let me noe if you need help..
danielkoh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
llewellyn
Dragon

if u ask me, i'll say dont' .... i am not a believer in overcrowded tank.
bioload wise, just have to wait and see when your tank comes and media filled up then guage from there.
for me, i have another 2260 running together with my 5ft sump and frequent wc, i also stuff momotaro inside my triangular compartment inside the main tank.
i just cannot stand the viscosity of my water after few days of unchange water (something that is rarely discuss by many hobbyist).
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
danielkoh23
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondpeh View Post
How frequent is your WC & how much is your feedings bro?

Personally, I am overloading my 422 with at least 20+ live stocks (1 aro, 3 tigers, 1 severum, ~20 bichirs) and doing weekly wc but with overkill in filtration (2 x 2260 & 1 x OHF). Daily feeding pellets and alternate days feeding mp. My current tank water parameter is still acceptable.
bro des... no fitration is overkill one... when you have good, you wan it better and you will want the best if you get it better... never ending one...
danielkoh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
spotted

IMO, the current livestock in the tank is just nice. Bear in mind that the fishes will grow and they need space to move around.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
rnkw

Perhaps you might want to start of with this first and slowly add one by one depending on the situation. I believe filtration should not be your major concern as you can always add a few other canister filters to supplement the filtration. Perhaps a greater concern would be overcrowding. Which I think should be comfortable and a little more than enough for each fish in your tank. Congrats on your new tank. Post pics for us when you get it.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
RTG Lover
Dragon

with your tank and sump size, 6 live stocks should be comfortable and just right, but take care and monitor as time goes by as they will get bigger and bigger especially the aro, it and gars..
RTG Lover is offline   Reply With Quote