Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 29-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Squid
Endangered Dragon

Default Water change without sucking out dirt?

What would be the difference if during water change , i don't syphon the tank floor dirt? I usually siphon the dirt from my bare bottom tank but its really taking a long time cleaning all my tanks , i usually do weekly wc, but hinking of skipping siphoning the base sometimes , will my wc still be beneficial for my fish?
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
HengHengZai
Dragon

it still better to siphon them out as not too good to leave them there for long !
water will be dmg after awhile.
HengHengZai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
edng

doh.... try flushing your toilet and leaving your poo in the toilet bowl
Old 29-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
What would be the difference if during water change , i don't syphon the tank floor dirt? I usually siphon the dirt from my bare bottom tank but its really taking a long time cleaning all my tanks , i usually do weekly wc, but hinking of skipping siphoning the base sometimes , will my wc still be beneficial for my fish?
yes it will still be beneficial for your fish, since WC is one of the best way to remove nitrate or harmful substance in your water. but if u leave the poo inside, the poo will continue to foul your water. If you WC and clear as much poo as possible, the water will be cleaner by the amount of poo you cleared during WC.

Another alternative i can think of to do WC without clearing poo is to use a power head or wavemaker to blow the tank floor, pushing all the poo towards your filtration system. then you can clean the wool that traps the poo. this way, you can just do WC since there is no more poo for you to clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edng View Post
doh.... try flushing your toilet and leaving your poo in the toilet bowl
sorry bro but what you said dosn't make sense and any link to the what TS is asking.try to be more constructive will ya?
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Squid
Endangered Dragon

Thanks i'll add a wavemaker to my tank and add filter wool in my sump right now i prefer the poop stay in my main tank as i siphon tem during wc and it takes a while before i usually clean my sump .
Old 29-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Thanks i'll add a wavemaker to my tank and add filter wool in my sump right now i prefer the poop stay in my main tank as i siphon tem during wc and it takes a while before i usually clean my sump .
yea WM are good addition to monster fish tank since it increases the flow and push those poos to the pumps. but of course, will have to wash/change wool more often.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
Squid
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
yea WM are good addition to monster fish tank since it increases the flow and push those poos to the pumps. but of course, will have to wash/change wool more often.
thanks bro currently I don't have woll in my sump, so I let the dirt stay in my tank.
, my first chamber is matala mats. i'll add a woool on top .
Old 30-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
RTG Lover
Dragon

how about those set-up with small pebbles? very difficult to siphon the poo as the small pebbles tend to get "sucked" out too. What will the effect be if we just change water (normally i do 30%) and let the poo "dissolve" or disintegrate by itself?
RTG Lover is offline   Reply With Quote