Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bucklemyshoe View Post
Thanks alot fr ur advise. Yup. For the tank, im changing soon. Can help me explain why are there so many stacks for ohf? How many trays are better? And how much does it coast at lfs? Thanks.
trays determine the amount of medias u can hold. More trays more medias, less tray less medias. For me i using 16 trays. Good enough for my bacteria to grow as i have 3 big rays inside. Plus an IOS system. Each tray about $3 i think. U shld check at a LFS instead :X paiseh i not sure of the price haha
S2whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
12bucklemyshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2whiplash View Post
trays determine the amount of medias u can hold. More trays more medias, less tray less medias. For me i using 16 trays. Good enough for my bacteria to grow as i have 3 big rays inside. Plus an IOS system. Each tray about $3 i think. U shld check at a LFS instead :X paiseh i not sure of the price haha
Its okay if u got the wrong quotation of the price. I just want to know the price in average. Now what is IOS? Pardon my noob question.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

IOS is an internal overflow system where water flows down ur medias and ur pump pumps back water to ur OHF and e cycle continues. Normally at the side or back of tank.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
12bucklemyshoe

Thanks bro whiplash. Maybe i go with ohf with internal pump. So for my 2ft tank, should i go for 2ft ohf tray or its okay to use 3 or 4 ft tank. And what media should i be using?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

for starters, go with simple medias like ceramic rings and wool. if ur budget allows, go for biohome. but granted that ur using a 2ft ohf, u have very limited space to store ur medias.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bucklemyshoe View Post
Thanks bro whiplash. Maybe i go with ohf with internal pump. So for my 2ft tank, should i go for 2ft ohf tray or its okay to use 3 or 4 ft tank. And what media should i be using?
Bro, take note that ur internal pump will take some space in ur tank so it will not be 2ft liao. Better to use a 4ft tank instead. Medias can follow wad bro issac stated.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #17
12bucklemyshoe

thanks alot bro isaac and bro whiplash! REALLY APPRECIATE IT!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

np. many bros here are glad to help if we can. any updates of ur tank? maybe can post some photos to share ur setup?
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
12bucklemyshoe

i end up getting a dophin p808. with petfran filter wool, this baxter filter wool (recommended by lfs uncle) and also mr aqua CR size M. so far so good for me. but the water that flows back to my tank from ohf is kinda strong and it always blow my sand away, leaving a bare bottom tank. i tried covering the hole (where the water frops from ohf) but my ohf will tend to overflow. any idea how i can reduce the power flow back to the tank?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
troutsalmonlove
Dragon

You can get the L plastic cover to attach to the ohf output of water, normally mr.aqua brand has it. It divert the direction of water output not straight down but flowing on water surface.
troutsalmonlove is offline   Reply With Quote