Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 17-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #21
TwistedPair

i was worried abt too strong a current thats why i tot of e 2215 or 2213..hmm ok food for thought. nvm i go recce n check prices.any lfs to recommend? 328? yishun that aquarium? bioplast at bk. anywhere else?
Old 17-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #22
Apistoinka

Maybe u can try seaview or pet mart... They have big variant of canister too...
Old 17-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Seaview has a very wide range of canisters. However, certain brands are not subjected to their equipment/accessories discount. If I have already decided on which filter to buy, i'd make a trip down to C328. Auntie's price is quite competitive. That said, Seaview is really good for other stuff like bogwoods, driftwoods, etc.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
TwistedPair

bro Jon-San! I've done it! i've been MEGA MEGA-LY poisoned!

i got my 2217 from a fellow forummer! sold it to me at a very good price and he gave me some medias too(including but not limited to BIOHOME!)

very excited to set up but i'll leave for another exciting SATURDAY AND SUNDAY! to do it! maybe the next poison would be the chiller..
Old 19-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #25
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Did he give you the inlet/outlet valves as well? Very impt items to have to make your filter maintenance a whole lot easier. Have fun setting up! Remember to let your 2217 run at max flow and adjust your output by varying the size and number of outlet holes on your rainbar. I prefer not to control my Eheim's flowrate by using the valves. Good luck and enjoy!
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #26
TwistedPair

yes yes he did! he also said e inlet n outlet valves are very expensive!all i need now is to get e relevant pipes. n e rainbar. now im jus thinkin where to place them in e tank. ill upload pictures tonight after work. for fissidens right. new growth is when lil light green sprouts appear right? its not e fissiden is dying right.
Old 19-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #27
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
also! the stupid waterfall tends to push my plants out of the substrate!! bang head again!!!!
I think plants needs time for the roots to spread out properly, so there will be some that will become loose during initial stage esp when there are current.

Quote:
anyway im also afraid of the heat that is causing my tetras to die.
in any case i still very budget and not much $$.
What is the temperature rante for Tetras, the pH requirements? I have no idea, but you may need to look at those.

Since you are on a budget, you have to plan carefully, do enough homework, have more patient, this can help you avoid spending on unnecessarily.

I'm in the process of setting up my 4ft. Am gg to be very very patient. Cycling for more than 1 week now and the cloudiness has started to clear. Long way to go for me.
Quote:
the canister im looking at is either the ehiem 2213 or 2215. dont know if i got the model right.

any other cheaper reccomendations? because this two is the most talked about in the forum. i guess?
You have gotten your canister, so my pov is just a reference. I have personally used 2 Atman canisters, 1 still running and found their canister to my liking. My first was Atman CF-600, bought 2nd hand in early 2008 and it's still running quietly and still powerful today. The 2nd was CF-800 and I sold it off after I decom my tank. Very nice canister. Had used other brands before but doesn't suit me.

I am using Ehiem 2217 for my 4ft tank (the planted tank I'm trying to create). Will likely need to add a blower to reduce potential of blind spots.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #28
TwistedPair

hey brother globalcookie.

thanks for ur updates! i initially wanted to be very patient with my set up but one thing led to another! haha.

1. I had a major issue with my bogwood. due to its irregular shape. i couldnt pre-soak my bogwood in water. so during the midst of my setting up. i left the tying of fissidens on the bogwood for last. which was a bad move when i realised my bogwood kept floating up. caused quite a bit of mess! until today my bogwood is held down by fishing weights that i use for fishing! tragic! (no fishes were in the tank at that time, thank god)

2. I think my co2 is not well circulated in the tank due to too much water agitation. temp for tank has been 26-28degrees.. which i thought was pretty okay. pH is 6.6. hardness and co2 im not quite sure though no test kit for them.

and brother globalcookie. u mentioned a blower to reduce blind spots? wont that affect ur substrate too? i was advised by someone that my tetras might have died due to the current in my tank coming frm the waterfall effect by my OHF.

im really damn new at this planting thing. so ya. im actually kinda researching how to harvest and spread my plants. there is one plant in particular that is growing really high but i dont know what to do about it. post it up tomorrow!
Old 21-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #29
TwistedPair

hey! finally.. i've installed/running my canister..

here are some photos to share. please help me by giving any comments or suggestions. i admit im really very noob at this!

Before photos! with the OHF(waterfall)

Testing to see how the canister really works.

My old OHF

Added a strip of Oyuma sticker. So i dont see all the ugly things on top of the tank and unsightly water marks caused frm the splashing of water.

Final Product! haha water still cloudy! maybe tonight will upload when water has settled down.

Now i have a few questions on fissidens.

Is this a sign of growth or a sign or dying??

sorry photo very blur! anyway i see a few spots of leaves that are very green! while the initial colour was darkish and not so bright!so thought it might be dying?
Old 21-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #30
k3nlim

U might like to move the rainbar deeper into the water or fill the water level up. The purpose of the rain bar is to provide more water circulation within the tank not surface splash.If u r using CO2, u will need to lessen the splashing effect. Do plant heavily to maximise your ada soil and co2