Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Reth

Default Almost-one-foot cube journal

Helloo everyone! Recently purchased a Nisso tank that comes with an interesting internal overflow & underflow system..

Setting up, adding gravel.. Added pet rock

A couple of days later, I decided to add fish to hasten the initial cycling. Got $2 feeder goldfish! They looked quite good haha. Added a nana too

Went overseas for 4 days. When I returned, the water was a little cloudy , yellow and algae formed on the tank walls- prob due to the bacterial bombardment from the GF. Decided to return the GF to lfs and start adding fish!

Bought 10 cardinal tetras, 3 leopard corydoras, 2 honey gouramis and 1 oto! They seem to be doing fine, no deaths so far. The cories are the most active, and the gouramis are the most humji lol.

Right now the water is better, but still got a tint of yellow. Also, got very tiny particles in the water. I guess I'll just wait a few days and see what happens. I was thinking of getting more plants but I don't think there are many that would survive off bare gravel.. Please comment on my tank and layout! Thanks for reading!

P.S. I hope i started this journal in the right place! If not pls lemme know ya
Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
yeoyl87

The tank set up looks interesting to me. If you worry about survivability of plant in your gravel, you can always try out ferns that don't require soil to grow well. Don't worry about the yellow water. Just do partial water change weekly. I guess its the leakage from your drift wood.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Reth

thanks for the suggestion, yeoyl!
I have rescaped my tank but i'm too tired to update now. Will uptade soon
Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Reth

Smile

Here's an update of my tank! Re-scaped the tank with new driftwood and spike moss! Actually spent a few hours tying the moss to the driftwood, plus retying the nana plant. The nana had like 5 separate roots so I picked the nicer ones and tied one by one.. The water was like teh peng but thankfully it cleared up. I also lost one cardinal in the process, prob due to fishing-net-stress.. I rikes the small cave formed by the driftwood! Thanks for the DW and moss, hassoon!

Closer pic. Notice the gourami behind the wood?

Side view. Actually this would be nice as a front-view layout also

My honeys. haha

Here you can see the oto eating the cory's food below, but they don't bother each other one bit (:

I'm thinking off adding like 5 cherry shrimps, cuz some of the fish food gets trapped in the moss.. I don't think they would be targeted by the other peaceful fish yeah. Thanks for viewing my journal! Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Reth; 08-04-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
leslens
Arofanatic

v. nice

the fish looks bright and happy

may i ask what camera are u using? very nice shots of the fishes as well
clear and crisp
leslens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
Reth

Hey thanks for the compliment, lenslens! I'm using an out-of-production Sony R1
Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
HuttShun
Dragon

nicely done lah gareth!

haha, very very nice tank! my uncle would want you to make it even nicer!

cheers!
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
Reth

Haha thanks huttshun! Nicer ah, like Amano's tanks can?

It's been a few days since I bought 7 cherry shrimps. One died in the bag even before it was introduced into the tank. Acclimated the cherries using drip method, which took almost 2 hours #@$%. Today there are only 3 left Just now I saw all of them gathered on the roots of the nana, like having meeting lol. The other 3 died one by one, prob due to stress, cause the cories and oto would accidently bump into them, then I'll see them retreating across the tank. So it turned out to be a bad idea to keep shrimp esp with bottom-dwellers. However the remainding 3 seem to be doing fine- they come out at night and rummage through the moss and dw.

A cardinal looks at one of the survivour-cherries.

So far all the fishes seem to be donig great! I notice that one honey is more territorial than the other- it chases away the other from the back of the big driftwood.. Sometimes they use their little feelers to poke each other, like hands haha. I hope this isn't a major problem in the long run. I'm thinking of getting one or two female honeys, maybe swap out the other male.. But it might not be such a good idea to breed using this little tank yeah? As I read they tend to become aggressive during the mating stage..

Thanks for viewing my journal! Hope it's not boring you guys. I'm open to any suggestions on how to beautify me tank!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
BuTLeR

good photo skills.. and nice setup bro... looks cool!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Evilhori
Arofanatic

wah...your setup looks more power combine with your photo skill
Evilhori is offline   Reply With Quote