Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 17-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #21
patclay
Dragon

Too much distraction nowadays. Plus how many hobbyist would continue to be hardworking up keep the fishes and stick to the schedule like changing water?

Social media changes a lot of things, and now younger generation can keep fishes on "ipad", so why bother keeping thecreal thing?

very sad...😕😕😕
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #22
fishlover1971
Arofanatic

Agree, I notice nowadays mostly young people are practically glued to their phones, ipads, even when walking on the road or walking the escalator at mrt. And the what are they at is fb. I wonder is fb so important that they disregard their own safety ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclay View Post
Too much distraction nowadays. Plus how many hobbyist would continue to be hardworking up keep the fishes and stick to the schedule like changing water?

Social media changes a lot of things, and now younger generation can keep fishes on "ipad", so why bother keeping thecreal thing?

very sad...������
fishlover1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #23
marshy

Senior Moderator

What do y'all think can be done to boost the bobby and this industry up again?
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 11:46 PM   #24
Royston
Dragon

I personally do not think that money is an issue with keeping pet. Last time in my primary school days every 2 days save $0.30-50 can buy tubifex worm to feed fish with a daily pocket money of $0.70.

Now grown up don't eat at restaurant(avg bill $50) eat at coffeeshop can save about $30+ this is alot of money(flakes/pellets) to feed a 4ft community tank for months.

Therefore imo $ is not a big factor if you really care for a hobby/pet. It's the attitude & passion towards the hobby.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 12:40 AM   #25
Nomis
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
What do y'all think can be done to boost the bobby and this industry up again?
Selling my fish cheaper ...ppl say I spoil market

Do instalment plan for my fish ... Ppl say I desperate

Let ppl adopt unwanted fish ... Forum doesn't allow

How to get more participation in fish keeping ,I also loss of idea...

Maybe only 2 ways I can think of is :-

1) Give away free fish ..
2) Get the richest man in the world to buy majority of the fish Lor...so supply shortage demand go up

Sigh ...fish keeping hobby really going down hill.

Simon

Last edited by Nomis; 18-11-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 12:48 AM   #26
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

With so many "other" things to distract us, I think only "hardcore" fish keepers will stay in this hobby. So far the fascination with aquatic life has kept me in this hobby for almost 30 years. Sure there are times I'll lose interest but I always come back to it.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #27
patclay
Dragon

Frankly speaking, I think we (30+ age group and up) may be the last generation of avid fish hobbyists. The next generation would be avid social media activist, and life in SG is getting harder as competition for jobs and etc eould not be easy. Who will have so much time, interest, patience and etc to keep a hobby that would require true hardwork to upkeep?

Look at the scale of Aquarama going down by recent years and the declining of ornamental fish farms and LFS and you can see how the trend of fish keeping is going...

On the other hand, I see a more simpler form of aquarium keeping that is thriving. Look at the keeping of volcanic shrimps in a small container. Space friendly, need not much maintenance, and although not cheap, it's popular among youngsters. So money wise it is not an issue, but the convenience is the key factor that youngsters like.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #28
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclay View Post
Frankly speaking, I think we (30+ age group and up) may be the last generation of avid fish hobbyists. The next generation would be avid social media activist, and life in SG is getting harder as competition for jobs and etc eould not be easy. Who will have so much time, interest, patience and etc to keep a hobby that would require true hardwork to upkeep?
think that about sums it all up.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #29
bian27
Dragon

Next generation will keep fish in their IPad
bian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #30
ren_hao

Quote:
Originally Posted by bian27 View Post
For arowana, do you guys think that because of the drop in price which causes hobbyist stop it? and also due to there are more exotic species of fish in the market to choose from.
There is some co-relation lah.
Got 1 friend told me, he damn happy he sold off his arowana before the price drop. Now, he is thinking of doing Discs or some pleco comm tank.

But on the other hand, got people like me. Price drop and I start to "up-grade" to more exotic fish, from not so common angelfish to red arowana.
ren_hao is offline   Reply With Quote