Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
yong1297

my is a 4ft tank using juz ohf without media
Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
9goldies

Huh? no media? as in no filtration? You must have somewhere in the filter or in the tank for the beneficial bacteria to reside...
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
yong1297

now using dolphin 1108, can advise?
Old 13-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #14
dragonfly_sg

Clean setup for easy maintainability.

Few observation ......

I see sunlight, might have green water problem down the road. You will have to keep Ammonia and Nitrate in check piously Even then, algae on the glass will grow fast. This might not be a problem if you're into the GW school of thoughts.

I am not sure if you have enough bacteria hosting surface. Unless your water change routine is like clockwork and in large enough volume, otherwise you need to pay more attention to Ammonia. I would recommend you to get a little piece of Ammonia test equipment call Ammonia Alert from Seachem, about $7.50 to $9.00 depending on where you get it, help u measure Ammonia 24/7.

An additional pcs of equipment that maybe usefully is a canister filter (1200/hr), fill it with as much good bio-media (eg Ehiem substrate pro) as you can afford. Run the canister in your tank with a pre-filter(eg sponge) wrap around the inlet and keep the inlet as high from the base as practically possible. This will act as you bio filter whereas the existing one act as the mechanical filter, wash or replace the mech filter media often and clean the bio-filter once or twice a year.

Just some suggestions you can think about. Enjoy your new tank
Old 13-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
yong1297

u mean if change water frequently then no need cannister isit..... i wc once a week ard 70% is that ok?
Old 13-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
ntw1976

simple setup and thank for sharing
Old 13-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #17
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yong1297 View Post
u mean if change water frequently then no need cannister isit..... i wc once a week ard 70% is that ok?
I am unable to tell actually.

Assuming you don't want to use a canister. You have to monitor Ammonia constantly ( the Ammonia Alert comes in very handy ) and take a test kit measurement immediately before your change water. That reading will give you the max Ammonia level just before you change water. Your Ammonia level taken before your water change will keep raising and stabilize after 4 to 6 water change later (weeks). If the reading before your water change is good, then you're fine. Otherwise if ammonia rises to bad level before your weekly water change is up, then you either have to get more bacteria or reduce bio-load.
Old 13-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #18
yong1297

juz went to y618 to get a pac of charcoal and put them in the filter. dun noe will help or not?
Old 13-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
westiee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yong1297 View Post
juz went to y618 to get a pac of charcoal and put them in the filter. dun noe will help or not?
Not advisable to add charcoal to ur OHF...once fully adsorb the toxic it will release back toxic to ur main tank..
westiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #20
yong1297

the aquarium shop lau ban ask me to change aft two months