Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2002, 11:52 AM   #111
goldfishfever
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamad


Can you tell me how to get green algae instead? My water tests show this:

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

Also there's no smell in the water at all, and the water itself is clear.
Ah! Now you can detect the presence of nitrate - 20 ppm
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 01:53 PM   #112
Hamad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Oh sorry! I did not mean to type 20 [otherwise I'd know were the problem is LOL] it's actually 5 this week. After every 20% water change it goes under 5ppm.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:09 PM   #113
Hamad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks for helping me! Here is the info you asked for:
- The tank gets an average of 3 hours of direct sun daily, from 6:30-9:30. After that indirect sun due to a tree in front of the window.
- The tank is around 5-6x2feet, 380liters.
- Right now I have 6 Goldfish, 4 will be replaced with the new ranchus I'm getting.
- I am using 4 filters [Fluval 403, Fluval 303, Aquaclear 2000, and Trio 3000].
- The tank is glass.

By the way, I am thinking instead of making this tank green [because it's glass and might not look good] maybe try to get a tub and split my fish between the tank and tub?


Quote:
Originally posted by newie
Ok, good to hear someone wants to try green water..
also, green water does not mean green algae. Green water is refering to the water, ie water is green, and the algae on the tank in min., and very easy to remove(just wipe off with a cloth).
As for green algae, i heard it is not easy to wipe off.. ??

Anyway, you should be aiming to get green water, and NOT algae.

I would like to know the following from your tank, so i can know if you will get green water or not.

How many hours of direct sunlight does you tank get daily? You are from arab country, so the sun ligh must be strong, right??
From what time to wat time?
How big is your tank, ie the dimension?
How many fish do you have?
What filter you are using? (very important)
What tank? ie fibre or glass?

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 03:45 PM   #114
goldfishfever
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamad

By the way, I am thinking instead of making this tank green [because it's glass and might not look good] maybe try to get a tub and split my fish between the tank and tub?


[/B]
Not a bad idea. Keeping goldfish make people think and be more creative in doing thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 04:49 PM   #115
Hamad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah I think it's better this way...every month switch fish between tank/tub so I can see them clearly in the tank.

What do I need to make a tub? How big for let's say 4 goldfish? Also can it be plastic? Because I found in a babies store they sell these hard plastic pools [not the ones that can leak easily], they are about 1 foot deep and 4-5 foot wide. Do youthink maybe I should get one of those?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:52 PM   #116
goldfishfever
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamad
Yeah I think it's better this way...every month switch fish between tank/tub so I can see them clearly in the tank.

What do I need to make a tub? How big for let's say 4 goldfish? Also can it be plastic? Because I found in a babies store they sell these hard plastic pools [not the ones that can leak easily], they are about 1 foot deep and 4-5 foot wide. Do youthink maybe I should get one of those?
The important thing is the plastic must be able to withstand the intensive sunlight and the water. Some plastic release toxin when used under these conditions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:56 PM   #117
Hamad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

How can I know if it will? What do you think would work better aside from plastic? I assume a pool would be resistant since it's meant to be used outdoors with water - right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:03 PM   #118
goldfishfever
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamad
How can I know if it will? What do you think would work better aside from plastic? I assume a pool would be resistant since it's meant to be used outdoors with water - right?
For outdoor, the best is to build a cement pond. But if you want something portable, fibre glass tank is the next choice. Any other thing that is built for outdoor pool should work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:10 PM   #119
Hamad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ok what if I want to keep the tub in door? What would I need?

Because I thought about it and I think it's dangerous to keep them outside, they spread a lot of chemicals to kill insects around here.

Last edited by Hamad; 11-11-2002 at 06:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 06:43 PM   #120
goldfishfever
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamad
Ok what if I want to keep the tub in door? What would I need?

Because I thought about it and I think it's dangerous to keep them outside, they spread a lot of chemicals to kill insects around here.
Without sunlight, then you can't have green water.

Is goldfish popular in your country? How did you hook to this hobby?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)