Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
koijunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgerKeng View Post
1)
2) will water condition be better at lower temperature...especially against disease ?
Generally, at higher water temperature, parasites will complete their life cycle faster ( i.e. die faster ).
Old 13-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
st8800

I use a 3hp chiller for my pond 11 ton pond for last one year. Electric bill is 200+ more per mth if I keep temp around 25c. Now I keep it at around 26c so bill should be cheaper. Lower temp definitely koi have better appetite but other health problems can arise if filter not big enough to handle load.

Overall I m happy with my chiller. I use to hit 34c in my pond without shade. Now I have both chiller and shade.
Old 13-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
koi
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by st8800 View Post
I use a 3hp chiller for my pond 11 ton pond for last one year. Electric bill is 200+ more per mth if I keep temp around 25c. Now I keep it at around 26c so bill should be cheaper. Lower temp definitely koi have better appetite but other health problems can arise if filter not big enough to handle load.

Overall I m happy with my chiller. I use to hit 34c in my pond without shade. Now I have both chiller and shade.
What's the brand of your chiller? Attica?
koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
st8800

Yes, Arctica.
Old 15-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
monster_88

Did not realise colder water is in fact better for kois, I actually added heater the last time when I ran out of options when my fishes started dying one after another. Miraculously, it worked then .
Old 31-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #16
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

This is a dig, but I think might be relevant to those of us in the Hobby.

There was mention recently of a new evaporative chiller that works well in our climate, doing 58k btu/h with just 1.4kw of power use.

http://airbitat.com/

This looks to be quite the breakthrough technology, and would be perfect for chilling our ponds. Piping chilled air through a waterfall, or titanium heat exchanger for instance would work pretty well.

I emailed them to check cost. About S$9k - which is the same as 2 Artica 3HP coolers (64k btu/h) running @6kw.

They apparently have a unit running at the Zoo entrance. Will go check it out to see if it is all it is mentioned to be.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #17
noidea
Dragon

If it really true that they use lower power than artica chiller, can really consider.

Thanks, keep posting what you have found out.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #18
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

The issue right now is that it is designed to chill air, and not water directly. It should not be hard to pipe air through a heat exchanger or bakki shower of course. If it can really get by on 1.4kw, keeping the pond area cool for humans is also not bad.

The NDP organizing committee is using turbocharged versions (chilled water fed, as opposed to ambient temp water) of this system to cool the spectator stands. Talk about airconditioning Singapore No longer a joke.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #19
noidea
Dragon

I have a row of spray bar in my pond, it can chill the pond water to 27 degree C. In raining season, it can chill the water down to as low as 24 degree C.

If this machine can chill the water temperature to 2 to 3 degree C below the surrounding temperature. Then it is same as using a row of spray bar. (cost of making a row of spray bars is cheaper,IMHO.)

Not sure whether with a bakki shower and combine with this machine can it lower the water temperature than a normal artical chiller. Example 20 degree C.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #20
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Got pics of your setup? Would love to get some ideas. I guess your pond is completely shaded?