Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 11-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #91
Xerovix

nice purchase you got there... these thingies grow much faster than duckweeds. i have placed them together some duckweeds in a small retangular container(for packing nasi lemak) exposed for about 1.5 hours of sunlight everyday. just within a day, a small little leaf can be seen growing out in the middle already. and now, that negligible container is almost covered with it than duckweeds.

btw, i don't think those are frogbits leh... more like another family of duckweeds called the spirodela polyrhiza.

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
<deleted>
In any case, I didn't buy from Farmart but went back to Nature to buy instead. This time I got myself some frogbits thrown in. Frogbits are too big in size for GF to eat... but makes a nice decoration to the tank.

Seen below, duckweeds are the tiny ones while the look-alike but jumbo-sized are frogbits, which have long hairy roots.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:57 PM   #92
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
btw, i don't think those are frogbits leh... more like another family of duckweeds called the spirodela polyrhiza.
That's so strange. Those frogbits I bought were packed by the boss of Nature when I asked for them. Your links showed an entirely different kind of frogbit from mine! From the pics, it looks like they are single leaf plant, while mine grew out from a stem into 5-6 leafs.

Those "frogbits" I got are not spirodela polyrhiza either. Mine has many roots that spring out from a "stem".

I'll integorate the boss of Nature.

Anyhow, I went to QianHu today and then dropped by Farmart again... and bought these... water lettuce (20 cents each). Like Frogbits, they are too big for GF to eat... but one of my Ryukin seems to be very fascinated by them; she kept hanging around right under them and just stare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water-lettuce.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	37146  
Old 11-05-2003, 08:34 PM   #93
Xerovix

got it from the same tank, right?

Quote:
That's so strange. Those frogbits I bought were packed by the boss of Nature when I asked for them. Your links showed an entirely different kind of frogbit from mine! From the pics, it looks like they are single leaf plant, while mine grew out from a stem into 5-6 leafs.

Those "frogbits" I got are not spirodela polyrhiza either. Mine has many roots that spring out from a "stem".

Anyhow, I went to QianHu today and then dropped by Farmart again... and bought these... water lettuce (20 cents each). Like Frogbits, they are too big for GF to eat... but one of my Ryukin seems to be very fascinated by them; she kept hanging around right under them and just stare.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:56 PM   #94
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
got it from the same tank, right?
No, he went to the back of the shop to get them. When I first asked him about frogbits, he did point them out in the same tank with the duckweeds. Come to think about it, those in that tank seems to look different from what I got. Man... gotta find out what happened!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:01 PM   #95
Xerovix

hmm... i got mine from the tank outside and it is identical to yours.

Quote:
No, he went to the back of the shop to get them. When I first asked him about frogbits, he did point them out in the same tank with the duckweeds. Come to think about it, those in that tank seems to look different from what I got. Man... gotta find out what happened!
Old 12-05-2003, 01:07 AM   #96
LASERGUY

Quote:

I put these water lettuce into my ranchu tub before, although their leaves are too big, later found out that the roots are being eaten by my ranchu and they seems to love it as much as duckweeds. With enough sunlight (in my case, 8 hours of planted light), they were growing pretty fast also.
Just check your water lettuce in a few days, see whether their underneath have become botak or not.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:03 AM   #97
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by LASERGUY
I put these water lettuce into my ranchu tub before, although their leaves are too big, later found out that the roots are being eaten by my ranchu and they seems to love it as much as duckweeds. With enough sunlight (in my case, 8 hours of planted light), they were growing pretty fast also.
Just check your water lettuce in a few days, see whether their underneath have become botak or not.
Just checked the roots. Oh my, most of them tiny roots are eaten, leaving only the thicker stem! I didn't expect that to happen. I wonder if the lettuce can survive in this condition.
Old 13-05-2003, 01:03 AM   #98
LASERGUY

Quote:
Just checked the roots. Oh my, most of them tiny roots are eaten, leaving only the thicker stem! I didn't expect that to happen. I wonder if the lettuce can survive in this condition.
Don't worry, they will survive.... Just give them plenty of light.
Old 13-05-2003, 09:56 AM   #99
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by LASERGUY
Don't worry, they will survive.... Just give them plenty of light.
I replaced my aquarium light with a 55 watts PL light yesterday. So now my tank has plenty of light. It might be too late for the lettuce. Most of yellow leafs and are tilting to one side. I'll go get some to replace them.
Old 18-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #100
AeroKing

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by goldfishfever
Do you sterilized the duckweed before feeding to the goldfish.
With what??