Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 11-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #1
jijo.raj
Arofanatic

Default How to transport Arowana?

Hi friends,

I've to shift the house in short notice. I found a flat in the same apartment complex. However, i'm worried about how to move my red. He is close to 2 feet by now. (see his - 1st year update).

I searched for some medicine to sedate him, but in Bangalore, Arowana products are hard to find.

Now I'm planning to shift him to a tub using cloth and then transport. Is this safe? The new flat is hardly 5 minutes away. Please share your thoughts.

Best Regards,
Jijo.
jijo.raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
washywashy
Dragon

Jijo, the tub is not a good idea as it would be close to impossible for you to lift it when it is filled with water. Also, I believe it would be shallow hence it would be very possible for your aro to jump out! Get a bag from your LFS will ya?
washywashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #3
Arosub
Dragon

Either get a prawn bag or a big bag from LFS.
Arosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #4
jijo.raj
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arosub View Post
Either get a prawn bag or a big bag from LFS.
Thanks Arosub Bro. I'll go with a bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by washywashy View Post
Jijo, the tub is not a good idea as it would be close to impossible for you to lift it when it is filled with water. Also, I believe it would be shallow hence it would be very possible for your aro to jump out! Get a bag from your LFS will ya?
Thanks Fauzy bro. I think a big bag is easily procurable. (LFS usually get big shipments from distant places). Well, any advice about how to catch him? Drains out the water as much as possible then bag him? My nets are so small and i'm afraid that it might damage his barbels.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Epon
Arofanatic

Careful not to let it jump out of the tank while u catching it..
Lower the water.. put ur bag into the tank and fill bag with water. Open the lip of bag as big as u can and try to guide the aro into the bag.. take it slowly.. don't scare the aro else it jumps.. good luck..

Ever see your lfs bagging other aro or fishes? Slow and steady.. once aro in bag, quickly close bag ..

Good luck bro
Epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
LauLanChu
Dragon

Unless you are skilled to do that often . For those first timer recommend to ask for help or use transmore . Once jump beside scale drop or bebble break the fins may be ripped off. Heart ache .
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 02:37 AM   #7
FunnyBaby

i just took transfer mine to another tank few days ago all by myself. with a tank 2.5ft height, lowering the water make it worst for me as i cannot reach it. so i lure him into the bag, took me a good 20mins just to have him inside the bag and bring it out.
FunnyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 02:15 AM   #8
jijo.raj
Arofanatic

Thumbs up

Thank you Epon, LauLanChu, FunnyBaby for your valuable suggestions.

At-last I moved my red. As washy bro suggested, I used plastic bags for transportation. The LFS guy took his biggest bag (in which the shipment comes). However, since the red was close to 2 feet, it was not enough for him.

Then we just ran (since i was moving to another apartment in same block) holding the bag and released him to a 2 feet tank (which i already moved). The LFS guy was wise; he packet 3-4 packets of water (from his tank) as well, to avoid shock.

Then slowly we moved the six feet tank (5 guys) with as much as water water packed into big bags. And finally moved him to the 6 feet tank. It took 6 guys bag him (thanks epon bro for the tips) without jumping outside.

Now my red is enjoying the new location. Thanks everyone for all the help. Take care.
Old 28-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
octopus
Arofanatic

may be you can sedate him once he is a bit calm put plasctic bag inside slowly guide him to the bag lift him up he will be fine in his new tank after awhile as the sedation would have ware off in te new water
octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
patclay
Dragon

Not an easy job but we'll done.👍
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote