Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 25-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
linusfishing
Dragon

Default Are my rays normal?

Hi all,

I've got 3 rays. 1 SP ray, 1 PDR SP, 1 MM. All 3 are about 5-6inches.

They're housed in 522 tank for now for about 1 month already.

I realised that they aren't very active leh. Sometimes they will gather and 1 corner and relak. Only when feeding time, they move around and eat. When lights are all off at night, they get more active.

1 ray eats approx half market prawn or 4-5 Ghost shrimps a day and stops eating. Is it enough? There's a slight hump on theyr butt after that.

I've tried putting some blackwater, aeration seems enough, water parameters are ok, tried adding/removing current, but don't seem to help with their activeness. Do they get more active as they grow bigger?

Pls advise.
linusfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
robotking

sound norm to me. One of my rmm enjoy hiding under the sand. Only active when food available or light off. Guess it depend on the character of individual ray.
Old 25-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
bentong
Dragon

initially my rays were like that also. v inactive, mainly just eat, then slack one corner. but recently, i redid my tank and added in some powerheads for circulation, as well as a super greedy fire eel to fight with them for food. now i whole day see them swimming abt, wanting food. i also think its cos they are getting more accustomed to the tank, more comfortable and sure of themselves, confident that the other fish wont attack them or anything.

so just try to be patient with them, maybe give them some current to play with? hmm got hump means they eat alrdy lah i think, dun need to be huge and bulging. at that size, my rays ate abt 1.5-2 mp each tho. but now, i think appetite actually less. 1 or 2 mp a day. maybe cos previously i overfeed them.
bentong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
hyde
Dragon

as long as they are eating is fine.. but appetite not very good. my rays are constantly moving around when they'r not eating, hmm bro maybe u can try put in a heater at 28degrees and see if it helps to improve. cheers!
hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
linusfishing
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotking View Post
sound norm to me. One of my rmm enjoy hiding under the sand. Only active when food available or light off. Guess it depend on the character of individual ray.
Thanks for input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentong View Post
initially my rays were like that also. v inactive, mainly just eat, then slack one corner. but recently, i redid my tank and added in some powerheads for circulation, as well as a super greedy fire eel to fight with them for food. now i whole day see them swimming abt, wanting food. i also think its cos they are getting more accustomed to the tank, more comfortable and sure of themselves, confident that the other fish wont attack them or anything.

so just try to be patient with them, maybe give them some current to play with? hmm got hump means they eat alrdy lah i think, dun need to be huge and bulging. at that size, my rays ate abt 1.5-2 mp each tho. but now, i think appetite actually less. 1 or 2 mp a day. maybe cos previously i overfeed them.
Have tried the current, maybe i'll try again, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
as long as they are eating is fine.. but appetite not very good. my rays are constantly moving around when they'r not eating, hmm bro maybe u can try put in a heater at 28degrees and see if it helps to improve. cheers!
All along I've got a heater inside adjusted to 28-29degrees. Still the same. Thanks for advice anyway.
Old 25-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
hyde
Dragon

what water conditioner u using?
Old 25-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
linusfishing
Dragon

Quote:
what water conditioner u using?
Currently using Nutrafin. Is it ok? If not, pls advise.
Old 25-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
hyde
Dragon

nutrafin issit colorless? i aways use seachem prime becos ray can only use coloress conditioner and absolutely no menthol content.
Old 25-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
linusfishing
Dragon

Quote:
nutrafin issit colorless? i aways use seachem prime becos ray can only use coloress conditioner and absolutely no menthol content.
Nutrafin itself is yellowish,however it doesn't seem to color my water.
Old 25-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
StiffMeister

any tankmates? they obviously dont feel comfortable so something or someone is causing it...