Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 07-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #31
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDDeviLs
ah! time to get rid of my md55! but how about my beckett? alamak!
my MD55 just malfunctioned ...
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:35 AM   #32
ReDDeviLs

what happened??
Old 13-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #33
cwloo

Barra, I think deep_end may just going to give you the fund needed to do the job .... Malaysia just hit by another major blackout...
Old 13-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #34
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Side track abit.

I tested out the iwaki mx70 .. it draws 0.95 to 0.9A depending on the load .. that means the resun MD55 is drawing the same ampere as iwaki mx70!
Old 14-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #35
ReDDeviLs

woah~ but the price difference is..omg.
Old 14-01-2005, 12:51 AM   #36
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

price is several times but you get the reliability and power with less electrical consumption
Old 15-01-2005, 12:00 AM   #37
roidan

My mx100 draws 0.95A under my usage situation(load)

yeah..barracuda is right...reliability and safety are some intangible benefits.

There is a first hand account of a resun md40 burnt-out and tripping the circuit breaker.....what if it burned down the house like those inferior overhead filter pumps that we see in the news
Old 15-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #38
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

I started another thread to discuss the power consumption of pumps.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=164831
Old 15-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #39
deep_end

Barra,

I was about to suggest the same thing. But if it's gonna cost $500, then it'll be way overpriced, unless it includes the 270AH battery. I just supplied a Power Backup Unit (not computer UPS) - Sinewave with inverter, charger, and twin output rated for 200VA and a 65AH maintenance-free battery to a customer for $430. This will support his Eheim 1262 for something like 6 hours+, I think.

If you can get the cost down, I can probably get them in bulk for you. We don't need a super high VA-rated (200VA is plenty good enough, I think). We'll just supply the car/truck/aircraft batteries ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwloo
Barra, I think deep_end may just going to give you the fund needed to do the job .... Malaysia just hit by another major blackout...
Old 17-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #40
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_end
Barra,

I was about to suggest the same thing. But if it's gonna cost $500, then it'll be way overpriced, unless it includes the 270AH battery. I just supplied a Power Backup Unit (not computer UPS) - Sinewave with inverter, charger, and twin output rated for 200VA and a 65AH maintenance-free battery to a customer for $430. This will support his Eheim 1262 for something like 6 hours+, I think.

If you can get the cost down, I can probably get them in bulk for you. We don't need a super high VA-rated (200VA is plenty good enough, I think). We'll just supply the car/truck/aircraft batteries ourselves.
Yah .. high costs I agree .. thats why I'm hoping someone can sponsor this project. Not for profits but for research and learning.

There are a few reasons why its costly.

True sine wave inverters costs alot more than modified sine wave inverters. You can easily get a modified sine wave inverter under $100 but our pumps are not designed to work on modified sine waves, they may overheat and damage the pump due to the weird +230V to 0V to -230V. True sine waves have a smooth curve that ensures that the voltage change gradually.

The inverter will also need to sync with the AC supply. If the power supply is cut off and the inverter kicks in, the inverter must be able to kick in "silently" without drastic changes in voltage. Imagine now the AC supply is at the peak +230V, the power supply is cut off and the inverter kicks in with -230V, the sudden change of polarity will damage the pump.

Charger - You will need a automatic float charger for this. Each charger got its range of charging capacity. Too high ampere, you will damage the battery. Too low and the battery cannot charge fully. Unless you use a auto float charger, you will have to fix the size of the battery according to the charger. Which also means that you cannot increase/decrease the capacity of the battery.

Why float charger? float charger will automatically charge the battery when required. Normal charger will continue to charge the battery regardless whether the battery is full or not. Overcharging will severely shorten the lifespan and may cause explosion to occur. The charger must also be able to take the load of a large empty battery, a empty battery will draw the max current from the charger .. if its is not rated properly .. that will certainly blow the charger.

Battery - You will need a deep cycle battery for this. Normal car batteries are designed to allow a very high ampere at short bursts to start the engine, if you use it for cyclic charging, the lifespan will be shorter. Deep cycle batteries are designed for such applications and normally can last longer depending on load.

The battery also must be sealed. Normal car batteries will release hydrogen when charging. if not ventilated properly, the hydrogen released will cause explosions. You will also need to top up the sulphuric acid periodically to ensure max performance. A sealed battery eliminates all these.

As you can see .. a good UPS requires more than just a charger, battery and inverter. There are quite alot to consider and of course I can just use the most basic parts. In the end .. its the performance and safety implications I'm more concerned with.