Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 11-02-2015, 12:45 AM   #11
kianlee863
Arofanatic

Try using super fine coffee strainers to sieve the daphnia!
kianlee863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #12
Jabby
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusfishing View Post
Waoh, thanks for the assurance man bro.

Because the water in the packet of live daphnia seems dirty, what I do is take my small net (with very very tiny holes, small enough for water to escape) to scoop out the live daphnia from the packet and then feed them. Cos the water seems dirty.
Correct method?
You should pour the whole packet of contents in a container and let it settle for about 30-45 minutes and after which, use a net to skim the surface to feed.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
bettabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
You should pour the whole packet of contents in a container and let it settle for about 30-45 minutes and after which, use a net to skim the surface to feed.
That's what I do too! Feeding only the live ones to fries
bettabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:41 AM   #14
Hengster

Just want to say this thread did give me some relief.

My CT frys are at Day 3/4 and I have yet to see them eat anything. There are plenty of Daphnia in the tank but I don't see the frys eating any of them. I had contemplated feeding them yolk as their first meal and I'm holding that thought now that I've chanced upon this thread.

I would also like to ask:

1) Do the frys float to the top of the tank when they are full? And why do some frys lay at the bottom when they are not dead. (Definetly not swim bladder disorder for both qns)

2) Since the frys need pristine clean water, Is it a good idea to put store bought beneficial bacteria into the tank to eliminate the nitrates and ammonia in the breeding tank?
Hengster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #15
exotic_idiot
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by linusfishing View Post
Yea i know.. But it's so difficult to clear the "waste" from the father which is lying on the bottom of the tank... Tried using a tube to suck it out last time but it seem to have disturbed the water quite a lot, so am stuck on what to do..
U can try using air tube connect to a thick straw and slowly change the water.
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #16
exotic_idiot
Dragon

I'm using pipette from daiso.. $2 only
Just suck the waste out easily..
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 PM   #17
Maxogate
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengster View Post
Just want to say this thread did give me some relief.

My CT frys are at Day 3/4 and I have yet to see them eat anything. There are plenty of Daphnia in the tank but I don't see the frys eating any of them. I had contemplated feeding them yolk as their first meal and I'm holding that thought now that I've chanced upon this thread.

I would also like to ask:

1) Do the frys float to the top of the tank when they are full? And why do some frys lay at the bottom when they are not dead. (Definetly not swim bladder disorder for both qns)

2) Since the frys need pristine clean water, Is it a good idea to put store bought beneficial bacteria into the tank to eliminate the nitrates and ammonia in the breeding tank?
3/4 of a day or already 3 to 4 days old ?

You can start feeding on 3rd day as they have finish their eggs sack. The young fries eat very little. Do not over feed as the remains pollute your water. Miss one day oso fine, wont stuff to death one.

Best to start using the straw when they are still in eggs form. Thereafter just leave it. Even at day one, most of them will be at the surface of the water.
Best leave the shit there and just add a k-leave.

Strongest survive. Even if many die off does not mean your have over do it. You can use the smallest sponge filter with minimum air bubble to keep the water clean and reduce the oil on the surface of the water.

Two weeks on you can start filter the shit as the fries are stronger and you can see the fries clearly.

Use a basin when you suck out the dirt with tube or use a straw. Thereafter then see if any being drain out then just put it back.

Use a styrofoam cup and cut it to 1/4 size to scope out the fries and put it back to the tank.

For me i use a small one ft tank or tub to breed. 2 weeks onward i transfer them to a 2ft tank to grow out.

Betta breath air too. In fact, those on the top of the water surface are the most healthier ones. Not because they are full.
Maxogate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #18
Hengster

I'm using pipette and siphon to suck the waste and dead daphnia out. The pipette is too slow and the siphon sucks way too much frys out. Even so, I am spending an hour to two each day clearing the waste. (I had to pipette dropper back the poor frys who got siphoned out of the breeding tank.

Recently I'm trying something new, I added two carnivorous snails called the assassin snail to the tank. Theoretically, they should consume the dead daphnia therefore making my job easier and at the same time they are not known to hurt live frys. Anyone tried this before?
Old 10-10-2015, 05:40 AM   #19
Hengster

Oh btw, my frys are 1 week old