Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #31
amkbettafan
Dragon

Thanks for the detail DIY on water mgmt you are using for your aro tank. Saw the youtube, very healthy fish in a clean tank. Great job.

Am thinking to do a simliar setup but using the canister filter and sub filter from enheim, but for 1.5 ft tank, maybe an overkill?
amkbettafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
some_1s
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkbettafan View Post
Thanks for the detail DIY on water mgmt you are using for your aro tank. Saw the youtube, very healthy fish in a clean tank. Great job.

Am thinking to do a simliar setup but using the canister filter and sub filter from enheim, but for 1.5 ft tank, maybe an overkill?
it up to u .for me overkill is still better then just enough becasue some x u may wan to add in some fish or like me i'll throw about 100 to 200 gold fish for them or 90 BF also so overkill is still better .
some_1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #33
kenny
Arofanatic

Hi bro, very interesting filtration project!

In the beginning you mention you don't know what the sandfilter removes. Hope I can share my little bit of knowledge here.

The main purpose of sand filter is to trap very fine particles, much like what the filter wool does. Smaller sized sand will be more tightly packed and thus trap smaller particles. Bacteria will grow in there and so will also act as biofilter.

Usually sand filters are built with a back wash function, where the direction of the waterflow is reversed, to wash out the particles trapped in the sand. You will need to make another "exit" for the debris to be washed out.

In your diagram, I see you do not have a purpose built exit drainage, but you probably can use the "air out" drain.

Have you started using it? How often and how do you clean it?
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #34
some_1s
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
Hi bro, very interesting filtration project!

In the beginning you mention you don't know what the sandfilter removes. Hope I can share my little bit of knowledge here.

The main purpose of sand filter is to trap very fine particles, much like what the filter wool does. Smaller sized sand will be more tightly packed and thus trap smaller particles. Bacteria will grow in there and so will also act as biofilter.

Usually sand filters are built with a back wash function, where the direction of the waterflow is reversed, to wash out the particles trapped in the sand. You will need to make another "exit" for the debris to be washed out.

In your diagram, I see you do not have a purpose built exit drainage, but you probably can use the "air out" drain.

Have you started using it? How often and how do you clean it?
Hi bro the for the infor ,I have use for about 6mth so far I only clean 1 ,when water is coming out from the air line ,this the x I know it is choking up then I back wash it .for the back wash I do not build in because I just need
To use the water outlet to pump in water then the water will flow out from the top cover
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #35
Shingen

just wish to ask if the biosand filter have the anaerobic bacteria to break down nitrate in water?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #36
some_1s
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
just wish to ask if the biosand filter have the anaerobic bacteria to break down nitrate in water?
ask i belive there is no anaerobic bacteria in my sand fileter as my water is fast when pump in , u need a very slow flow rate for the anaerobic bacteria to live .
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #37
tco
Dragon

With that many fishes, wc once every 2 weeks and your no3 is 4 Impressive!!!
tco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #38
hengyi86

have a question. gonna build a biosand fitler will be at the 2nd compartment so i was thinking if i have filter wool in the 1st compartment do i still need to do backwash?

Another question is, instead of a denitrator, i might set up a biosand filter canister type with super slow flow rate. will it work the same way as a denitrator?

Thanks

Last edited by hengyi86; 06-11-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #39
No78
Dragon

Thumbs up

Nice setup TS .

Great learning lesson .
No78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #40
some_1s
Arofanatic

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyi86 View Post
have a question. gonna build a biosand fitler will be at the 2nd compartment so i was thinking if i have filter wool in the 1st compartment do i still need to do backwash?

Another question is, instead of a denitrator, i might set up a biosand filter canister type with super slow flow rate. will it work the same way as a denitrator?

Thanks
2nd compartment u mean in the sump ?
i think cant because the water flow thought the sand fitler is way too fast n it will over flow .

1st compartment do i still need to do backwash?
u still need to backwash (backwash is to lossen the sand n remove dirt)

i might set up a biosand filter canister type with super slow flow rate. will it work the same way as a denitrator?
for this i thought of it be4 but i think back of the slime thing it produre ,sand will get choke very fast .look at this link http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=303571
but any way u still can try it all about DIY