Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-05-2004, 02:10 PM   #11
Navyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
i believe it's too high..

i agree tat 4 a venturi skimmer, no pump is too strong as long as the skimmer dun overflow...
but let me tell u... it will never overflow..regardless wat type of p/p u use. i can tell u if u use a 100000000l/h p/p, it will oso not overflow. of cos when i say 100000000, i'm exaggerating. if u use such a p/p, i believe many parts of ur skimmer will give way 1st.
do u know how a venturi works??
do u understand the principle behind its operation??
let's discuss n share..
Yea I like discussion, that's where we all learn.

Yes I understand what is a venturi and the principle behind a venturi skimmer. You seems to be an engineer. I am not an engineer, you should know more than I do but I'm just telling you what I think and what I have experienced. I only have taken some modules on hydraulic, although it is just a scratch on the surface.

Bro, too high flow can overflow, may be you have never seen one skimmer that overflows. But it will and I have seen it. Although upon using higher flowrate you will have more loss of flow in the venturi, nevertheless the eventual flow will increase, though not in a propotional manner.

Consider the difference of weipro 2011 and 2014, they have the identical inlet and outlet size, made of the exact same material, but they have different "recommended" flow. The difference is only at the reaction chamber being 2014 have a larger reaction chamber. The larger the reaction chamber, the less likely that it overflows. But I agree with you that it is going to be able to take a lot of flow.

AndI agree that the skimmer costruction will not be able to take a pressure that is too high. But most of the pressure will be at the pipings before the venturi, that will be the part to burst if it is going to burst. And I believe that the most powerful pumps that is normally available are not capable of doing so.