Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 11-11-2002, 07:13 PM   #121
newie

Hi,

It is better to separate using tubs(for green water) and glass tank indoors. I am doing this, this way you can move your fish around.. you will see the difference in the colour.

Get a fibre glass tub, 3x4 feet(min) and 1 feet deep. Put an air-pump in, DoNOT put filter, or sponge filter.. --> JUST ONLY AIR PUMP. DO NOT add any chemicals (except dechlorinator). Feed in the morning 1 or 2 times, before the strong sun light. DO Not feed after wards. remove an exessive food, do not over feed. Put in 2-3 fish.

After a few days, you will see the water turns "cloudy", and very fine particles floating in the water... keep it this way..
Soon the water turn slightly green, and then nicee green.
The whole process may take 1 to 2 weeks depending on the sun light.
If your fish is sick, the water will not turn green.
You will notice, there will be minimum algae on the side of the tank, and they are easily remove by wiping them off with a cloth.
In green water, you will notice the fish is more active.

in the night, try to increase the airpump output. Do not be tempted to feed more.

Follow the above, i guarentee you will get green water, any part miss, you will likelly fail.

Once you get green water, anther long story to maintain it. PM me or post messages when you get green water, and i will teach you how to maintain it.

Green water is diffrent for algae.. you may not see your fish in green water, and you may think it is dirty, but in a few weeks in green water, you will be amazed by the improvements of your fish.

You may want to try to put 3 of your "to be replaced" fish to test first, if you are worried. try to chose those red ranchu, and you will see the results, the picture of my avatar is an example.

Update your findings.. ok .. good luck!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hamad
Ok what if I want to keep the tub in door? What would I need?

Because I thought about it and I think it's dangerous to keep them outside, they spread a lot of chemicals to kill insects around here.

Last edited by newie; 11-11-2002 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 PM   #122
newie

If your tub gets the chemical, you will not get green water, probably u will get dead fish.. just kidding..

In indoors, you need metal-haide lamps.. those 12K output power type, but they are expensive, see the pics in my gallery.. under matela haide lamp, they are selling S$380 here,. Normal aquarium lamps(tubes type) will not get you any green water, my friends here have tried already and failed.

Btw, i use metal haide lamp to get greeen water.. no problem for years man!!

Quote:
Ok what if I want to keep the tub in door? What would I need?

Because I thought about it and I think it's dangerous to keep them outside, they spread a lot of chemicals to kill insects around here.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:51 PM   #123
piertiong
Dragon

where to buy fibreglass 3x4 feet(min) and 1 feet deep? and how much?

and to have green water, no need to change water?
piertiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:46 AM   #124
newie

the fibre glass tub cost from S$80 onwards, depends on size, i got mine at mainland, if you get a plastic tub, it is around S$30.

With green water, i change my water 50% every week. yo friend, have to change water lah, ... only TRP teach people no need to change water, people have to bath also mah,, maybe he no need to bath , just like his fish.. ....

for green water, if you do not change water, and it gets "too green", ie too much oxygen in the water, the fish will get "burn" and you will see small bubbles in the fish scales.. but no problem, it will recover one..

Quote:
Originally posted by piertiong
where to buy fibreglass 3x4 feet(min) and 1 feet deep? and how much?

and to have green water, no need to change water?
Old 12-11-2002, 10:19 AM   #125
Hamad

Today I searched EVERYWHERE and all I found is plastic tubs that are smaller. They are 2x2feet and 1feet deep. Do you think this will be enough for one Ranchu in each?

Tomorrow I will search for the lamp.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:36 AM   #126
newie

hi, frankly speaking, 2x2 is a bit small. you can put 1~ 2 ranchu there first. btw, how big is your ranchu?
And if you can find the metal haide lamo for aquarium use, put the lamp 30cm above the water level. You will notice the lamp is quite hot.
I put mine 20cm above the water beacuse i have a bigger tub, and i controll the duration of the lamp. For you, i suggest 30cm.

For metal haide lamps, it take ~30sec to turn fully on.
And when power-off, it takes ~10mins to turn on again.. this is the specification, nothing wrong with the lamp. You can check with the shop if this is the case. Do not get the wrong one, they are quite expensive. If you can take the specs that would be better. I know some people who use commercial metal haide lamps to cultivate green water, but you need to make sure you get the correct output power,... you do not want to cook your fish..

last thing, metal haide lamp have nBig "Balast".. do not know what you call that ,.. "transformer"..??? anyway, see the pic in my gallery, you will see a white-grey box next to the pipe.. that is it. Big hor?

Just make sure you get the correct lamp.
Also, make sure there is a safety cover for the bulb. Although mine have not burst before, i heard you need one for safety reasons when you have kids running around in your home

Quote:
Today I searched EVERYWHERE and all I found is plastic tubs that are smaller. They are 2x2feet and 1feet deep. Do you think this will be enough for one Ranchu in each?

Tomorrow I will search for the lamp.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:22 PM   #127
piertiong
Dragon

2x2 too small?? sheesh...i'm keeping 3 baby ones in a 2x1x1 tank now...with partition somemore, with 2 other lh.

and hopefully transfer them to the 3x1.5x1.5 tank when they grow bigger.

and when i'm waiting for the water to turn green, do i need to remove the shit? is shit needed to make the water green, or do i just have to remove some of the shit.

Last edited by piertiong; 12-11-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:03 PM   #128
newie

the reason i said too small, is becos i worry that too many fish will cause the ammonia and nitrate too high to be controlled.

if you have 3gf +3 lh in a 2x2, .. can also i guess, but you have to controll the feeding,
btw, yours is under direct sun light right? do you use filter of any kind? also do not put any chemicals in the water, orelse green water cannot come out.. and remeber to controll the feeding to morning only.

how is the status? any signs?
the first sign is the water turns cloudy, and you see very fine particle floating...

Quote:
Originally posted by piertiong
2x2 too small?? sheesh...i'm keeping 3 baby ones in a 2x1x1 tank now...with partition somemore, with 2 other lh.

and hopefully transfer them to the 3x1.5x1.5 tank when they grow bigger.

and when i'm waiting for the water to turn green, do i need to remove the shit? is shit needed to make the water green, or do i just have to remove some of the shit.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:18 PM   #129
Hamad

I was thinking of keeping one in each of these tubs. I think for the new Ranchus I will add them to the aquarium and not the tubs - in the tubs I will add the other smaller fish I was planning to give away. This way when I add the Ranchus in the future I will have more experience and won't risk their lives.

Now what I'm worried about is the brown algae in the glass tank, so far it's not causing the fish any trouble but I'm scared maybe in the future? BTW the water is clear, it's only on hard surfaces - the fish keep eating it every now and then.

As for the lamp, I'll write down the info you have under the picture in your gallery and will go to stores and ask for it.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:21 PM   #130
piertiong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by newie
the reason i said too small, is becos i worry that too many fish will cause the ammonia and nitrate too high to be controlled.

if you have 3gf +3 lh in a 2x2, .. can also i guess, but you have to controll the feeding,
btw, yours is under direct sun light right? do you use filter of any kind? also do not put any chemicals in the water, orelse green water cannot come out.. and remeber to controll the feeding to morning only.

how is the status? any signs?
the first sign is the water turns cloudy, and you see very fine particle floating...

hm...3gf, 2lh, with a plastic air cum filter box, can see it in my gallery. and it's not under direct sunlight...very very little sunlight to be exact.