Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

View Poll Results: Would you like a stingray species forum?
yes please! 63 94.03%
No thanks, don't need one. 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Gigas
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX View Post
hmm,..henlei genes very strong.heehee
chio girl indeed
Thank you thank you...the parentage of this girl is super difficult to guess with multiple black ray genes....it is a F2 and the only one that looked this. If all the spots turn white like the peripheral ones...I will be a very happy man!
Gigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
enghai

Just hope that this is not a sudden interest of rays like how Flowerhorns era were.

Every damn family must have at least a FW, every few other HDB void deck sure have a shop selling FW, newspapers every few other days got news about a FW giving owner win 4D...

In the end, all the neglected (and out of fashion) FHs get throw into reservoirs and ponds.

I am voting "No" as such predator fish need more experience hobbyist to keep them. It either the rays will disrupted the eco system in our reservoirs/ponds or some noobies hobbyist will be hurt by the ray, say got strike in the eyes...
enghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
TOM32
Dragon

Long time ago should have lifted this ban liao.

We should allow all species of ray for buying/selling here.

May i suggest this guidelines

1 Seller must state the bred of the ray.
2 In the case of SP, seller if possible state the papa and mama bred.
3 Must attach a clear picture of the ray.
4 Size of ray to be measured from left to right.
5 Pup should be at least 3 to 6 weeks old and eating before it can be sold.
6. Seller to inform what food the ray is feeding on
5 Seller to feed ray during viewing upon the request of the buyer.
6 Correct naming of ray
  • SP - for all type of SP - buying to view and judge yourself
Motoro
  • Marble Motoro
    • Pearl
      • Sakura
        • Tiger
          • Otorongo
            • P12 Henlei
              • P13 Leo / Black Diamond
                • P14 Starry

Last edited by TOM32; 29-07-2010 at 03:04 PM.
TOM32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigas View Post
Thank you thank you...the parentage of this girl is super difficult to guess with multiple black ray genes....it is a F2 and the only one that looked this. If all the spots turn white like the peripheral ones...I will be a very happy man!
good eg,...precisely,..this is what i call share information un-inhibit,without restrain.
show pic,then discuss and everone benefited irregardless of ray or non ray keepers.

btw i think good chance her base can darken very much,and her spots turn white with age
RELAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
RELAX
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by enghai View Post
Just hope that this is not a sudden interest of rays like how Flowerhorns era were.

Every damn family must have at least a FW, every few other HDB void deck sure have a shop selling FW, newspapers every few other days got news about a FW giving owner win 4D...

In the end, all the neglected (and out of fashion) FHs get throw into reservoirs and ponds.

I am voting "No" as such predator fish need more experience hobbyist to keep them. It either the rays will disrupted the eco system in our reservoirs/ponds or some noobies hobbyist will be hurt by the ray, say got strike in the eyes...
i think your concern is unfounded,you are not comparing apple to apple.
we cannot progress if we dont try.
everyone knows internet can be harmful,depends on how we use it.
RELAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
zhuangsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by enghai View Post

Thank you for bringing up your honest feedback, it is a good point and i can see where you are coming from.

The lift is only in arofanatics forum. AVA policies against retailing of stingrays in aquarium shops still stands. It will not be like the FW days where we see those FW shops popping up even faster than the bubble tea ones..

And unlike FW, stingrays are not exactly very welcome when it comes to Feng Sui. Because of its misunderstood reputation as being dangerous, poisionous, stingy, all these seen as negative towards the person keeping it.
*disclaimer: I am not a professional feng sui master, please dont hold me to it, but rather these were the reasons i heard from customers in my previous experience.

News wise, the papers actually did some report with the help of some of our fellow forumers through personally house visiting some of them, instead just pure writting off their head like some gossip style magazines or papers. And it was a good article because it helps to further educate others about the misunderstands they had towards rays.

And no, the entry for rays are much higher, especially for the much more commonly sought after black rays, despite the price. If anyone would like to throw their ray away, please call me. I will like to join the 'by the time i get there' endless queue..

Thats why in response to your concerns, all the more we should allow a free and open trade and forum where people can discuss and learn more about these amazing creatures.

Last edited by zhuangsw; 29-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.
zhuangsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
TOM32
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM32 View Post
Long time ago should have lifted this ban liao.

We should allow all species of ray for buying/selling here.

May i suggest this guidelines

1 Seller must state the bred of the ray.
2 In the case of SP, seller if possible state the papa and mama bred.
3 Must attach a clear picture of the ray.
4 Size of ray to be measured from left to right.
5 Pup should be at least 3 to 6 weeks old and eating before it can be sold.
6. Seller to inform what food the ray is feeding on
5 Seller to feed ray during viewing upon the request of the buyer.

6 Correct naming of ray
  • SP - for all type of SP - buyer to view and judge yourself
Motoro

• Marble Motoro

• Pearl

• Sakura

• Tiger

• Otorongo

• P12 Henlei

• P13 Leo / Black Diamond

• P14 Starry
Sorry let me write on...have some problem of posting after a long laid off
Mod can delete thread if picture posted does not match the bred that TS has described.

Not sure i am contributing the correct suggestion or not or this is what Stanley is asking

Sorry if i am out of topic, bye bye and happy ray keeping.

regards

Last edited by TOM32; 29-07-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 29-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #18
TOM32
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigas View Post
I wholehearted agree to this relaxation of ruling...frankly speaking, I think even AVA has been very lax in their policing of this so call ban.

Just for kicks...will do something I seldom do...post of my rays here. This 7 inch little female is one of my pride & joy!
Uncle, is this your latest batch? Fantastic pup for which mama/papa?Where is my P14?

Regards

Last edited by TOM32; 29-07-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 29-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
jwhtan
Barney

Let me just share my concerns.

Rays are not cheap. It costs quite a fair bit.

The traders will be out in force. We must be prepared for more dispute threads. I know we can all mention caveat emptor but as u all also know, AF prides itself on being a community and I'll like it to still be this way instead of every man for himself.

The sp. issue will never be settled. It'll be a case of somewhere along the line has some PDR genes and that's a PDRsp. This will go on forever. There'll be claims and counter claims. I dunno whether we'll be richer or poorer for it.

Should we proceed with this, I'll like to ask the ray community to take a more active role in educating and also weeding out unethical sellers. U can say all u want abt why having this is good, but if u sit on the fence when an issue is at hand, then this will not work.

I just want to remind the community that this is for you, the section is for u. And should u want this, then u must help us to look after this.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
Gigas
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM32 View Post
Uncle, is this your latest batch? Fantastic pup for which mama/papa?Where is my P14?

Regards
Yes my latest batch Uncle....after I move house, I invite you over to looksee the parents This little girl will be my future mama...cannot even think of parting with it

Your P14....last batch already gone. Next batch sure reserve for you How's the little one doing...hope enuf spots to satisfy u?
Gigas is offline   Reply With Quote