Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 04-03-2005, 06:51 PM   #21
dOlBy

I think you lack of some red colour plants. With red plants your tank will defintely look even better.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:14 PM   #22
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Thank you for your comments. I do like red plants too but after some reading up, I understand that red plants need more lights and also it will act as another focus point - currently my focus point is the lava hole rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOlBy
I think you lack of some red colour plants. With red plants your tank will defintely look even better.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:28 AM   #23
elimmel
Senior Dragon

very good 1st attempt
best thing about this tank is that it is densely planted from the start with some fast growing plants. this will help in preventing the usual algae outbreaks associated with newly setup tanks, eg hair algae.

the plant in photo3 is Ceratopteris thalictroides. it grows really fast, so expect to do some trimming. another thing is that i see u have glosso attached to a piece of wood. it will start to grow upwards and be pretty messy. glosso as a foreground plant, should be planted in the foreground for best growth. pretty difficult with the gravel that you are using due to it's lightweight.

for more plant ids, see here
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/aq_ga...ntcategory.php
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #24
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Thanks Elimmel for the advise.

Yep, I'm already thinking how to trim the glosso haha... I hate the damn gravel, it's so super light and everytime I put my hand in, it starts to stir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel
very good 1st attempt
best thing about this tank is that it is densely planted from the start with some fast growing plants. this will help in preventing the usual algae outbreaks associated with newly setup tanks, eg hair algae.

the plant in photo3 is Ceratopteris thalictroides. it grows really fast, so expect to do some trimming. another thing is that i see u have glosso attached to a piece of wood. it will start to grow upwards and be pretty messy. glosso as a foreground plant, should be planted in the foreground for best growth. pretty difficult with the gravel that you are using due to it's lightweight.

for more plant ids, see here
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/aq_ga...ntcategory.php
Old 05-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #25
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Hi Elimmel,
Thanks for identifying the plant in photo 3 as Ceratopteris thalictroides. Check out the database, and it definitely resembles it;

http://alecto.bittwiddlers.com/fish/Tropica/5a.htm

Rather cheap at $1.50 per pot or $4 per 3 pots.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #26
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

wahh.. nice sia.. =)... maybe u can put vallis on the left backgrd to cover the CO2 flipper.. jus my 2 cents worth
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #27
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Thanks. In fact I'm trying to look for bigger plant to hide the diffuser but seems like the leaves are blocking the bubble passage way. So I change to those straighter plants and hope it will grow taller and more to hide the diffuser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg
wahh.. nice sia.. =)... maybe u can put vallis on the left backgrd to cover the CO2 flipper.. jus my 2 cents worth
Old 08-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #28
bluezing

gd job....plant in photo 5 will change to finer leaves...stay tuned~