Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 16-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
CBTG
Dragon

Default Did anyone heard eating stringray?

Happen to came in my mind. I saw fresh water fishes ; patin catfish, kml etc to be serve in restaurant. Wonder do people eat fresh water stingray like motoro ray?
CBTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

since it's breed-able, and prices of lower end stingrays are dropping.. maybe, just maybe.. someone will make aquaculture breeding of motoro stingrays a FYP (final year project) for their poly / uni .. then we next time get to eat FW stingray liao..

but the freshwater smell sure
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Mr.XP
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
since it's breed-able, and prices of lower end stingrays are dropping.. maybe, just maybe.. someone will make aquaculture breeding of motoro stingrays a FYP (final year project) for their poly / uni .. then we next time get to eat FW stingray liao..

Maybe need to pay particular attention water parameters and chemical contents and food for the FW rays in captivity which would affect the final meat product.

Freshwater smell... maybe add more sambal balachan!
Mr.XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #4
Shawnsp
Dragon

I have never come across and hopefully it doesnt happen
Shawnsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

i think freshwater rays are much smaller in size as compared to the usual edible rays. maybe commercial breeding not economical.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
jambul

recently saw a family 0f a certain race fishing in Lower Pierce (illegally) and caught lots of fish using goldfish. Amongst the fishes caught were quite a few peacock bass and in particular a nice motoro ray about 16-18 inches. Wanted to buy from the chap but he said too late...cut of tail already and was ready to BBQ it already. He even got the cheek to tell me that freshwater rays dont taste good, salt water ones taste better...

These ppl are just so ngian pnng..everything also want to tapao and makan..really sick
Old 19-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
murinus
Arofanatic

Maybe they didnt know the value we place on these fishes. Once they know there is a demand for them I am sure they would prefer to sell for money and use the money to buy fishes from the market
murinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
CBTG
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post

I alway thought fresh water fish got smell. But recently tried a steam patin with friends dinner. The meat are fine and nice. That remind me a farmer that told me grass eater carp also very nice when cook in restaurant too. So I believe it all depend on chief lah.
CBTG is offline   Reply With Quote