Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Flairtender
Dragon

Arrow Laying Acrylic as Tank Base

Hi All ,

Just want to share how i did my acrylic base for my tank , cause heard alot
of ppl afraid of acrylic bending , trapping dirt below .... floating !!!

1st ) Place to get the acrylic is Dama @ Ubi
Size 5mm and if using white try to get the matt white .

2nd) Price - For my 6.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 base plus back and 2 side i spent about $88 inclusive a $10 slant cut for the EOS portion . ( I actually bought a 6 ft by 4 ft to cut and there's even some left over )

3rd ) Meassuring part ( try to measure in inches and convert to millimeters , for easier conversation with the dama sales person )

A ) For my case 1 need 2 pc .

First get ur tank bottom bracing , should be 3" .

Next take ur tank outer dimension ... eg 6 x 2.5 x 2.5 = 72" x 30" x 30" ( then divide into half )

B ) For the width part 30" minus off 6"bracing = 24 " ( then convert to mm should be 610 mm and minus another 5mm
Should be 605mm for my case ) To play safe go for 602 or 603 mm
* To be more safe , measure ur top tank 2 pc glass cover width without the top bracing should be quite accurate.
For those with ohf or other cover and no bottom bracing simply take ur tank width and minus of about 8mm .

C ) Lenght part - Use ur top tank glass cover as a guide again . Push ur top left cover to the extreme left ( right vise versa ) Use ur measuring tape to measure across without the top bracing if u get what i mean . Should be quite simple now if u understand my english .
*****REMEMBER TO MINUS OFF 5MM EACH SIDE SO NEXT TIME CAN TAKE OUT EASILY! )

D ) here comes the tricky part the EOS slanting part ...
Actually quite easy .... Use a big A4 paper to trace out the slant part on top ur glass cover . And when cutting @ dama
Just put the trace A4 paper over the corner of the pc of acrylic u gonna cut and draw a slant line .

All these measurement are done exterior , no need to backbreak to measure internally .

* To really play safe about the measurement , buy 1 pc of big 3mm to 4mm corrugated sheet to cut out to try the half
side for the EOS slanting part . U will get the measurement quite accurately from there .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think using acrylic base is a better choice then laying white tile. ( my view only )

Cost only slightly $10 to 20 difference , my estimation only . Might be about the same or cheaper .
Some tiles shop only sell and doesnt cut so a hassle for u to bring the tiles around .
Some tiles can't lay totally flat and quite dangerous to lay and remove in future .
Difficult to measure also .

Thats all for now , when i'm free will try to take some pictures to post here .
Flairtender is offline   Reply With Quote