Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #51
happybuddha
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: how to get gw the easy way

Quote:
Originally posted by Demekin
Instead of using metal halite (si mi lai eh), what lamp you using ? how many watt for 200L+++ 4ft tank ? I using those pinkish type 1x40 watt for my 4ft now.

So filter is to rid the waste.... hmmm .. in green water, the water is so green liao, how to filter waste ? Wat filter u recommended ?
Lemme see if I can explain filtration and green water....

In nitrogen cycle, bb consumes ammonia and convert them to nitrite and nitrate.

In green water, unicellular algae consumes ammonia and carbon dioxide during photosynthesis (which has no harmful by-products.)

As you can see, both beneficial bacterial and unicellular algae consume ammonia.

Therefore, if you want green water, you must not cultivate bb since bb will fight with your uni algae over ammonia. The reverse is also true.

That's why pple often say "your filter must not be effective" which sounds so oxy moron. Why on earth do you want something ineffective?? What they really meant to say is you should have mechanical filtration (use wools to trap large debris) and don't use any bio-media such as CR and sinster glass etc for bio-filtration, or else I suspect bb will win since it can thrive throughout the day and night while algae is domant at night.

In this sense, an OH filter with wools works best while canister filter or sponge filter are the wrong type of technology to apply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 10:08 AM   #52
happybuddha
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: how to get gw the easy way

Metal halide is just another type of lighting system, in addition to florescence, halogen, xenon etc.

It's commonly used in commercial areas such as National Stadium's lighting towers, your school's hall, jewery and bridal shops' showcase. The main advantage is it's energy efficient for the amount of light it generates. The main disadvantage is it generate a lot of heat, and I mean ALOT!

I attached a pic of a typical metal halide bulb, and those kind of MH lamp often used in shopping malls.

For safety reason, I would suggest you use MH sepcifically designed for aqaurium use. Arcadia makes good ones.... for coral reef aqaurium tanks. Next time you go QianHu, see them in their marine tank, and on display at the sales area lor.

[Cool Arcadia MH lamp with build-in timer and cooling fans too.]


Quote:
Originally posted by Demekin
Instead of using metal halite (si mi lai eh), what lamp you using ? how many watt for 200L+++ 4ft tank ? I using those pinkish type 1x40 watt for my 4ft now.

So filter is to rid the waste.... hmmm .. in green water, the water is so green liao, how to filter waste ? Wat filter u recommended ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 10:10 AM   #53
happybuddha
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Whoops... forgot to attach the pics of common MH lamps used in shopping malls ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mh-spot-light.jpg (7.7 KB, 128 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 10:11 AM   #54
happybuddha
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Another one... recessed downlight type:

Look them up in places like Lee Hwa jewery shop's ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mh-downlight.jpg (7.6 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by happybuddha; 15-06-2003 at 10:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #55
happybuddha
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A common MH bulb... about $20-$25 for a 100 watts Osram at Balasteir Road lighting shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-bulb.jpg (3.6 KB, 128 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 12:15 PM   #56
Ah Thiam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: green water again

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
here...

some hints... "metal halide"
That's a good one.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #57
AeroKing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Re: Re: Re: Re: how to get gw the easy way

Quote:
Originally posted by Demekin
Instead of using metal halite (si mi lai eh), what lamp you using ? how many watt for 200L+++ 4ft tank ? I using those pinkish type 1x40 watt for my 4ft now.

So filter is to rid the waste.... hmmm .. in green water, the water is so green liao, how to filter waste ? Wat filter u recommended ?
Filter what waste? What filter? Green water does both. Just need your air stone...nothing else. So simple...yet bros keep wanting to add 'stuff' to it. Can't understand you folks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 01:45 PM   #58
AeroKing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: green water again

Quote:
Originally posted by kbwong_mail
By the way how much is those "metal" that your are talking about , bro?
$700-750
  Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2003, 01:48 PM   #59
AeroKing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how to get gw the easy way

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
Metal halide is just another type of lighting system, in addition to florescence, halogen, xenon etc.

It's commonly used in commercial areas such as National Stadium's lighting towers, your school's hall, jewery and bridal shops' showcase. The main advantage is it's energy efficient for the amount of light it generates. The main disadvantage is it generate a lot of heat, and I mean ALOT!

I attached a pic of a typical metal halide bulb, and those kind of MH lamp often used in shopping malls.

For safety reason, I would suggest you use MH sepcifically designed for aqaurium use. Arcadia makes good ones.... for coral reef aqaurium tanks. Next time you go QianHu, see them in their marine tank, and on display at the sales area lor.

[Cool Arcadia MH lamp with build-in timer and cooling fans too.]
Yep...this is the green water magic wand!
  Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2003, 01:12 PM   #60
goldfishfever
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how to get gw the easy way

Quote:
Originally posted by AeroKing
Filter what waste? What filter? Green water does both. Just need your air stone...nothing else. So simple...yet bros keep wanting to add 'stuff' to it. Can't understand you folks!
Wah, I must respect you, the Green Water Master.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 01:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)