Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 30-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
wasabi8888

Default Need advice in getting rid of tadpoles in ponds

Hi all

I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask for advice. Mods, please move if necessary.

I have a friend who lives in a condo with a stretch of ponds (about 10) in front of ground floor units. The residents on the ground floor have been keeping kois, mollies and goldfishes in them.

In the last few months, there have been a huge influx of toads and tadpoles in the ponds. These has caused inconvenience to the residents as the croaking of the toads has caused them to wake up in the night. Some residents have even attempted to catch these toads in the middle of the night. I have seen the ponds. There are at least a few hundred tadpoles in each pond (there are 10 ponds).

I was hoping that there are some fishes that i can introduce into the pond that will eat the tadpoles. I heard that endies will eat the tadpoles but I am not sure. The residents have called pest management companies but these companies have stated that toads/tadpoles are not pests and hence they will not get rid of them.

Thanks all. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 30-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
gavin
Endangered Dragon

Oscars.... Throw in a couple of Oscars and they will do a good job for u.
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Sunday
Dragon

Throw in some of those $3 peacock bass. They're fast enough to catch the tadpoles.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
wasabi8888

Thanks for the advice. Will peacock bass and oscars eat the mollies as well?

Where to find peacock bass? Does seaview have them?
Old 30-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
KenJIavp™

Throw in a Siamese tiger or any tiger fish.. guaranteed to be gone in a week no matter how many tapoles there r
Old 30-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
wasabi8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJIavp™ View Post
Throw in a Siamese tiger or any tiger fish.. guaranteed to be gone in a week no matter how many tapoles there r
Siamese tiger expensive right?

These are ponds shared by the residents so it's going to be from own pockets. Can endies work?

Will oscars, peacock bass, endies or tigers harm the kois, goldfishes and angel fishes?
Old 30-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
stackdeck

Oscars sound pretty good. They dont grow as big as those other fish listed. Dont know if theyre aggressive though.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
KenJIavp™

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
Siamese tiger expensive right?

These are ponds shared by the residents so it's going to be from own pockets. Can endies work?

Will oscars, peacock bass, endies or tigers harm the kois, goldfishes and angel fishes?
Couple of thousands...

Tigers will play with your kois, goldfishes and angel fishes... in their tummies after they eaten them
Old 31-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
wasabi8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJIavp™ View Post
Couple of thousands...

Tigers will play with your kois, goldfishes and angel fishes... in their tummies after they eaten them
Thanks for the heads up

Tigers are a no no then....

I was hoping that someone will say endies are fine cos i see the $4 ones available in some LFS.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #10
nid

Most of the fish mentioned would eat any fish that would fit in their mouth. Be it tigers, endies, PB, ur mollies confirm eaten, goldfish if there r small enough, kois might be the only fish safe.