Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 19-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
hengyi86

Default MP vs Feeders

Hi all I have been feeding MP and fish fillets for the past few months till recently, for the past 2 weeks I poured in feeders (gf,torsat,guppies,mollies) and I noticed an increase in growth rate for my ITs and aro. Anyone have the same experience?
Old 19-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #2
glyeo84
Dragon

IMO, unless there is always feeders in the tank for the livestocks to eat freely. If the feeding is controlled, there will not be much difference in the growth rate....That's why i always prefer feeders over mp for my livestocks, especially tigers. Very enjoyable just to see them chomp the feeders, but pocket very siong hor. So bopian, at times have to control and change their diets...

Last edited by glyeo84; 19-03-2011 at 03:06 AM.
glyeo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
hongzai
Arofanatic

imho, i think feeder is a more nutritious food to them.
i feed my aro with med bullfrog when it is 8-9 inch. grow very fast.
hongzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
backspace
Arofanatic

bro, actually the best growth results I saw was pellets. but I think need depends on individual fish genes also.
backspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
BlueStar
Arofanatic

Bro, thanks for sharing. Will slowly try to change their diet as one of my aro seems abit stunted although it still makan.
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
amiidae

Ethical or disease issues aside, it is pretty much voice down to freq of feeding in correspond to growth rate for juvenile fish.

Do take note of thiaminase in certain feeder fish like goldfish.

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Funwow!
Arofanatic

Feeders to a point do get fish growing bigger but you then have to worry about all the parasites you can get from them. It just becomes a headache. If your feeding MP or fish fillets i would stick to it. Just put pellets into the stuff your feeding and you'll get the growth you want. I put massivore pellets in sliced up fish fillets. A friend of mine was doing the same thing and got his Indo dat from 3inches to 17inches in 4years....so thats proof it works.
Funwow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
keen

I am feeding mp to my IT, stuff it with tetra monster pellet. not to induce growth but trying them to convert into pellet... however notice slight growth too...
Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
sixthbrand
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiidae View Post
Ethical or disease issues aside, it is pretty much voice down to freq of feeding in correspond to growth rate for juvenile fish.

Do take note of thiaminase in certain feeder fish like goldfish.
thiaminase... is this the disease/enzyme that causes fish's brain to shrink or sth? scary thing.
sixthbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
Weiliang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthbrand View Post
thiaminase... is this the disease/enzyme that causes fish's brain to shrink or sth? scary thing.
Here you go!!

Souce: Wikipedia

Highlights:
Thiaminase is an enzyme that metabolizes or breaks down thiamine into two molecular parts.

Source include:

* Bracken (brake), Nardoo and other plants.
* Some fish including carp and goldfish.
* A few strains of bacteria like Bacillus thiaminolyticus, Bacillus aneurinolyticus, or Bacillus subtilis.

Effects

Its physiological meaning for the plant, fish, bacterial cell or insect is not known.

It was first described as the cause of highly mortal ataxic neuropathy in fur producing foxes eating raw entrails of river fish like carp in 1941.

It was once causing economical losses in raising fisheries, e.g. in yellowtail fed raw anchovy as a sole feed for a certain period, and also in sea bream and rainbow trout. The same problem is being studied in a natural food chain system.

In 1860-61 - Burke and Wills were the first Europeans to cross Australia south to north; on their return they subsisted primarily on raw nardoo-fern and died of beriberi because of the extremely high thiaminase content in an otherwise thiamine-poor diet.

Hope this helps,
Weiliang
Weiliang is offline   Reply With Quote