Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 31-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
TuNA
Dragon

Throw in those 3-4 inch ITs. They eat like pigs yet they won't grow that fast so you can catch them out once the tads are under control.
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #12
patson77

Default re

I will go for oscar oso... u shd c them feed.
Old 31-03-2011, 01:03 AM   #13
kyouiku
Arofanatic

Bro beside those fishes. Pour around 4-6 cup(depend on pond size) of home squeeze lemon juice . Citric acid kill the tadpoles. The lemon skin put ard pond frog or toad hate the scent .
kyouiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
Weiliang
Arofanatic

Red or black tilapia will work fine.

Pros: omnivorous, low maintenance, low O2 requirement, won't actively hunt, low cost, edible

Cons: Not pretty, high reproduction rate, territorial, out competes other species for pellets
Weiliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #15
wasabi8888

Thanks for the info.... goldfishes are big so i guess they should be ok... not sure about the mollies but i guess it's OK if they are eaten....

I may just go for combination of endies and oscars...

Pertaining to lemon juice, since it can kill tadpoles, i am sure they will harm the fishes? Anyways , there are 10 ponds, and they are not small ones. I cant imagine how many lemons i must squeeze....
Old 31-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #16
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Don't get endies cos they bottom dwellers and not "active" hunters i would say. they usually wait around for things to come. and endies are not cheap, might as well get senegals?

Get oscars, actively hunt.. Cheapo luohan, and other carnivorous cichlids would be best...
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #17
junlei

best is put those juvenile or baby snakeheads inside.. sure help you clear the tadpoles within a week. After that can take out and keep in your tank.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
Weiliang
Arofanatic

It might be unwise to place predatory fish in your pond as a temporary measure.

Should you be planning to introduce a new species, it will be better if the fishes remain in the pond permanently.

1) trying to net out fish from a pond is a tedious affair
2) you have more than one pond
3) will you be able to provide sufficient care for the predators after you remove them from the ponds? Releasing predators into nature poses Eco problems(invasive)
4) introducing predators and removing them will provide a temporary solution at best, the toads/frogs might return. Will you buy predatory fishes again; or return your tediously netted fishes back from tank to pond

Please consider and choose wisely. Fishes are living things too.

Hope this helps,
Weiliang

Last edited by Weiliang; 31-03-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 31-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
TuNA
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi8888 View Post
Hi all

I was hoping that there are some fishes that i can introduce into the pond that will eat the tadpoles. I heard that endies will eat the tadpoles but I am not sure. The residents have called pest management companies but these companies have stated that toads/tadpoles are not pests and hence they will not get rid of them.

Thanks all. Any advice is appreciated.
Its their croaking that bothers the residents but the pest companies had stated that they're not pests. This is true after all toad/frogs feed off many pest insects like mosquitoes.
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #20
Weiliang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNA View Post
Its their croaking that bothers the residents but the pest companies had stated that they're not pests. This is true after all toad/frogs feed off many pest insects like mosquitoes.
It feeds on fish as well.