Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 26-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
globalcookie
Dragon

Last time when I bought, i look at their body width. Males slimmer while females broader. (look from top, as in top view)

No 100% but well, that's what I do to try and identify the genders.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
zeek_fon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictok View Post
How to ID male/female?
I will normally flip the crayfish over and observe the portion between the last leg of the crayfish. When see a little part pointed straight up to the front, is a male, when see a 'O' is a female.

Very difficult to see their gender when the age are young or smaller size. Only when they reach a certain size, then gender is more obvious.

In the past the crayfish sold at C328 quite easy to ID their gender but now they sell only the smaller ones so have to tikum liao liao
zeek_fon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
mictok
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek_fon View Post
I will normally flip the crayfish over and observe the portion between the last leg of the crayfish. When see a little part pointed straight up to the front, is a male, when see a 'O' is a female.

Very difficult to see their gender when the age are young or smaller size. Only when they reach a certain size, then gender is more obvious.

In the past the crayfish sold at C328 quite easy to ID their gender but now they sell only the smaller ones so have to tikum liao liao
Thot of buying some nice pair to keep, Seaview got a few colour available.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
zeek_fon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mictok View Post
Thot of buying some nice pair to keep, Seaview got a few colour available.
Yupz bro. Seaview ones some are larger. I bought from there before too. They have white, blue and orange colours. Easier to ID the gender. Good luck in your search bro
Old 30-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #15
insouciant

Till now I still can't ID the gender of the pair I have.
Seen their underbelly many times but still can't tell - but most likely both are same gender as both seem the same.

Added 10 neon tetras 1 week after I bought the pair.
2 died I think due to water conditions.

For 2 weeks no further casualties. The the crays started to molt so I separated them via a breeder tank.
Once I separated the crays, the tetras stopped schooling and started to swim much closer (even straight into) to the crays - lost 3 tetras over 3 days; saw the crays trying to catch them which they most likely did when I was away.

Seems like the trick to keeping tetra with crays is to make sure you have a pair of crays so the tetras will keep away and the crays will focus their aggression on each other and not the tetras!
insouciant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #16
Gus
Dragon

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=159243
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #17
zeek_fon
Arofanatic

Bro, your neon tetra will be the meal for the crayfish one day. They will hunt in the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insouciant View Post
Till now I still can't ID the gender of the pair I have.
Seen their underbelly many times but still can't tell - but most likely both are same gender as both seem the same.

Added 10 neon tetras 1 week after I bought the pair.
2 died I think due to water conditions.

For 2 weeks no further casualties. The the crays started to molt so I separated them via a breeder tank.
Once I separated the crays, the tetras stopped schooling and started to swim much closer (even straight into) to the crays - lost 3 tetras over 3 days; saw the crays trying to catch them which they most likely did when I was away.

Seems like the trick to keeping tetra with crays is to make sure you have a pair of crays so the tetras will keep away and the crays will focus their aggression on each other and not the tetras!