Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 13-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #11
CheckerBox
Dragon

These are Rio Nanay, 100% sure! These always come into Singapore during the Altum season, which is now. They are labelled as Spotted Peruvian or Peruvian Altum in the past. But for whatever reason, we've seen them being labelled wrongly as Suriname over these 2 years.

It's not just the coloration alone but body shape is different from Suriname as well. Rio Nanay has a slightly more oval shape body whereas the Suriname has higher body form.
CheckerBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 02:13 AM   #12
NI KI
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerBox View Post
These are Rio Nanay, 100% sure! These always come into Singapore during the Altum season, which is now. They are labelled as Spotted Peruvian or Peruvian Altum in the past. But for whatever reason, we've seen them being labelled wrongly as Suriname over these 2 years.

It's not just the coloration alone but body shape is different from Suriname as well. Rio Nanay has a slightly more oval shape body whereas the Suriname has higher body form.
Thanks for your confirmation
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #13
Bigfoot1989
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerBox View Post

Thanks for sharing. Almost bought it. Haha.
Bigfoot1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
CheckerBox
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI KI View Post
Thanks for your confirmation
You're most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot1989 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Almost bought it. Haha.
These are nevertheless very nice Rio Nanay anyway. If you like them, why not? Just that hobbyists need to know exactly what they are buying.
Old 14-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #15
bettafish
Arofanatic

So these ain't Suriname? That they looked different from Nanay. Some also argue tt Nanay n Suriname could be the same...
bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #16
deaDFisHFood
Dragon

Wasnt familiar with the suriname and the rio nanay, but what stood out to me was the lack of spots or blue sheen when I saw them, so I kinda figured they were something else besides surinames.

They have been at the shop for some time, been visiting very often

If you look pass the wrong labelling, they are actually very beautiful specimens of angels. I think what put a lot of people off from buying them had nothing to do with the quality of the fish, but just dismissing them because they are not surinames.

I believe that the color of these angels have been washed out due to the environment that they are placed in in the shop. White almost bare tank with bright white lights are not very flattering for anyone, fish included
While netting them to have a closer look, I noticed some coloration on them.
So if any bros are looking for a different angel, you can definitely take a look at them.

(P.s. I bagged 2 and am trying to replicate an environment that they will be comfortable in. Hopefully, after they settle down, coloration will improve)
deaDFisHFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #17
jebus
Dragon

anyone bought the "wild Peruvian ANgels" 5 in a bag, $28 each?
looks very high finned but also not much spotting
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
dan
Arofanatic

Think, this ts warrent a sticky, such information is worth to take note.
Jus my 5 cents worth.

Thks
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
exotic_idiot
Dragon

Thanks for sharing bro....

Mix id as lfs always depend on supplier to give them the right names.
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #20
CheckerBox
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaDFisHFood View Post
Wasnt familiar with the suriname and the rio nanay, but what stood out to me was the lack of spots or blue sheen when I saw them, so I kinda figured they were something else besides surinames.

They have been at the shop for some time, been visiting very often

If you look pass the wrong labelling, they are actually very beautiful specimens of angels. I think what put a lot of people off from buying them had nothing to do with the quality of the fish, but just dismissing them because they are not surinames.

I believe that the color of these angels have been washed out due to the environment that they are placed in in the shop. White almost bare tank with bright white lights are not very flattering for anyone, fish included
While netting them to have a closer look, I noticed some coloration on them.
So if any bros are looking for a different angel, you can definitely take a look at them.

(P.s. I bagged 2 and am trying to replicate an environment that they will be comfortable in. Hopefully, after they settle down, coloration will improve)
You're absolutely right bro. Rio Nanay are one of the most colourful wild scalares around too. Just need to give them the right environment.

Do keep us posted on your Rio Nanay ya?