Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 06-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #21
aroman

i think genetic problem. cause i got rear so many aro b4 except silver and pearl , only my existing xback droop eye ,touch wood .last time i use feeder fish fatty diet, my water level also high one , others no problem.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #22
eatfish

Default Droop eye

I have one Red Splendour with droop eye on one side.
Will be transferring him to a fgt as was told that this might help.
Bros out there, pls advise will this work or should I just leave this fella
alone.

Thank you

Cheers

Old 08-08-2005, 02:16 AM   #23
benedictsim

My RTG oso has a 1 sided droop eye. I absolutely have no idea how did he developed it.

He is housed in a 4x2x2 tank.
Used to be fully planted. Now total bare after moving house.
Anyway, he has grown too big to co-exist with plants.

Then again, he already had 1 sided drop eye during the planted tank days.

His diet:
1. When young small frogs.
2. Then Bull Frogs.
3. Occasional Gold Fish for Treat.
4. After that, main diet MP.

Had anybody managed to cure any aro with a 1 sided droop eye?

Old 08-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #24
Vetduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfish
I have one Red Splendour with droop eye on one side.
Will be transferring him to a fgt as was told that this might help.
Bros out there, pls advise will this work or should I just leave this fella
alone.

Thank you

Cheers
Transferring to FGT will definitely work. However some cases tend to recur after the aro has been brought back into a glass tank. I've noticed that this recurrance tends happen when you're trying to cure drop eye in adult or matured fishes. 18in & above I would consider matured, this I mean in terms of eye muscles being matured.

The aros I've put in FGT when they are small around 12in & keep them in the FGT until they are about 18in, tend not to have the problem recur. However that is a good 6 months or more in a FGT.

That's how I've observed the treatment of dropeye. Anyone with other experiences of treatment of drop eye, feel free to add to this discussion.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #25
zihao

Kenny, any stats on when the adipose cells on aros stop regeneration? For humans it is usually puberty.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:20 PM   #26
Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zihao
Kenny, any stats on when the adipose cells on aros stop regeneration? For humans it is usually puberty.
Hi Zihao,

Just a correction, with something to think about .

Adipose cells actually multiply primarily in two periods in human life, during the third trimester of pregnancy and like you mentioned, prior to and during puberty.

However, contrary to popular belief, creation and mutiplication of adipose cells can occur later in adulthood. When adipocytes fill with lipid and reach a critical size, precursor cells are stimulated and differentiate resulting in adipocyte increase.

The interesting thing is this- moderate overfeeding does not seem to result in this new adipocyte formation. Rather, sustained overfeeding over long periods of time results in the cell creation I just mentioned. Makes sense, because if the fat cells are all filled, the body's natural reaction is to create more for storage ( if they are unable to stretch any more).

This is for HUMANS. Does it hold true for arowanas? Can their systems regenerate more adipose? If so, then perhaps it can contribute to droop eye recurrence? Beyond my specie field, beats me . Gotta ask the vets and ichthyologists for the answer to that one, if any research tests have been conducted.

Vincent

Old 08-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #27
zihao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent
Hi Zihao,

Just a correction, with something to think about .

Adipose cells actually multiply primarily in two periods in human life, during the third trimester of pregnancy and like you mentioned, prior to and during puberty.

However, contrary to popular belief, creation and mutiplication of adipose cells can occur later in adulthood. When adipocytes fill with lipid and reach a critical size, precursor cells are stimulated and differentiate resulting in adipocyte increase.

The interesting thing is this- moderate overfeeding does not seem to result in this new adipocyte formation. Rather, sustained overfeeding over long periods of time results in the cell creation I just mentioned. Makes sense, because if the fat cells are all filled, the body's natural reaction is to create more for storage ( if they are unable to stretch any more).

This is for HUMANS. Does it hold true for arowanas? Can their systems regenerate more adipose? If so, then perhaps it can contribute to droop eye recurrence? Beyond my specie field, beats me . Gotta ask the vets and ichthyologists for the answer to that one, if any research tests have been conducted.

Vincent
Thanks for the contribution. I posted the similar thing somewhere infront too.
Though still no one can tell me an answer to that.

Indeed, though it is 2 periods. I think that part of pregnancy is deliberately omitted when we are talking about generally humans and fishs. Not into the gender of the species yet.

Yap this is for Humans, I have no answer till some experiment is carried out. Gonna be time consuming. Perhaps I will ask the local disease expert - Dr Ling. Lol, the very same guy who signed all our certs.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #28
dinoxb

Hi bros , I have few pointers here

1) Aros in the pond or FGT do not have this issue of drop eye ?( if yes then is not diet problem right ?)

2) Dropeyes only happen in the glass tank

3) Is this due to light source that coming from the side ? that causes aro to evade the direct glare and look down or swim side way ?

Old 10-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #29
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zihao
Thanks for the contribution. I posted the similar thing somewhere infront too.
Though still no one can tell me an answer to that.

Indeed, though it is 2 periods. I think that part of pregnancy is deliberately omitted when we are talking about generally humans and fishs. Not into the gender of the species yet.

Yap this is for Humans, I have no answer till some experiment is carried out. Gonna be time consuming. Perhaps I will ask the local disease expert - Dr Ling. Lol, the very same guy who signed all our certs.
Hi Zihao,

You've got a point there, but like what Vincent had mentioned, in order for adipose cells to grow, you'd need to really on extremely overfed diet for that to occur. The percentage isn't that great in humans.

from what I could gather, the relapse in the aro can occur as early as 2-3 months after the excision of the fats.

Yeah, I think it'll be good for Ling to answer that too!

Cheers,

Kenny
Old 15-08-2005, 02:07 AM   #30
gregsng
Arofanatic

My 7in aro bought 2 weeks ago did not have droop-eye. After a week with me, suddenly got droop eye on the left one. Very sad. I actually pumped him after buying and he's a greedy fellow. Could it be food? My previous 2 aro living in that tank did not have any droop eye.