Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 03-11-2016, 10:54 PM   #21
Dyna
Arofanatic

Many years ago, I used to buy from Gan's Farm the huge jumbo cardinals which he told me were from certain parts of the Amazon. He shared that cardinals from different areas of the Amazon basin can grow to different sizes. If yours are not with the jumbo gene, it will never grow to those jumbo size.

I have not been to Gan's for a number of years already so I do not know whether he is still importing in those jumbo cardinals. At that time, he also kept those huge Holland Rams too.
Dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM   #22
torque6

what is the best place to get Cardinal Tetra? No need super cheap, just want the fish to be healthy. So far been to quite along of LFS, seems all suffering from ICH.
torque6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #23
cheng wei jian
Arofanatic

Idk about best place to get but i know that last time if i get batches of even 100 from different places, end up, i will only end up with 20-30 tetras left. But recently, i tried something new, i put ketapang leaf in the tank, no longer pour water into the bag and acclimatise for 1-2 hours, but just let the bag float in my tank for about 2 hours, let the temperature be around the same, then catch them out and place straight into the tank. I find that doing this increases the survival rate by a lot.
cheng wei jian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #24
globalcookie
Dragon

Quarantine them, 'bath' them in some necessary medication (eg oxycure or whatever it's called).

Cardinal tetras, from my few purchase experiences, are very weak fishes. They also carry dieases and will introduce some into your tank. So best to have them properly 'bath' before you release into your tank.

Most recent purchase, I forgotten all about that. Of the 50 pieces, I guess I'm down to only 10 pieces. A few other variants of tetras in my tank also died.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #25
moscowblue
Endangered Dragon

The wild caught ones are more redder with straighter lines separating the 2 colours while the farm bred ones are mixed with neons, thus the lines are abit zig-zag if you notice them properly. This is what I heard from the farms that imported them. Source is of course from Brazil, Indonesia, Taiwan, etc.

Of course the wild caught ones are more expensive then those that are bred.
moscowblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #26
torque6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowblue View Post
The wild caught ones are more redder with straighter lines separating the 2 colours while the farm bred ones are mixed with neons, thus the lines are abit zig-zag if you notice them properly. This is what I heard from the farms that imported them. Source is of course from Brazil, Indonesia, Taiwan, etc.

Of course the wild caught ones are more expensive then those that are bred.
I will get the wild ones in that case. Will probably add 6 first, then another dozen the following week to see how. Thanks.
torque6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #27
dragonhart
Dragon

I am letting them go at half price..PM... no casualty all since day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonhart View Post
after keeping for a week separately...I find the more exp one is more red, more bright color and more hardy....none died during quarantine.....the cheapo one like not hardy...every now and then got dead fish...
dragonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #28
kianlee863
Arofanatic

Default cardinal tetra

/hi bro can whatsapp me quantity and price?

kianlee863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #29
kianlee863
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kianlee863 View Post
/hi bro can whatsapp me quantity and price?

Oh shucks. How do I delete this? I thought i was PM-ing..
kianlee863 is offline   Reply With Quote