Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 23-02-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Default The lonely dance of a waiting female - True Green Terror

Jeff Rapps' F1 Andinoacara stalsbergi... landed here in Singapore only 20 days ago... all of them grew almost an inch since then... males are pushing 3 inches... females close to 2.

Talk about precociousness... this girl cannot be more than 3 month old.

Enjoy, the individual mating dance. Ha... Oh and also Vieja melanurus 'Lake Peten' as tankmates colouring up nicely... same shipment brought in by Stones Aquarium.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by BubbleBubble; 23-02-2012 at 02:18 AM.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
lyc
Dragon

all looking great. You get any syn from last MO? melanurus and syn look so different but now they are all under melanurus.
lyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Really?... No lah... Same genus yes... species level?... Can't be!
Old 23-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
lyc
Dragon

yes they are the same now. Syn is classify as melanurus sometime last quarter 2011

http://cichlidamerique.bb-fr.com/t23...ilum-melanurus
Old 23-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
lyc
Dragon

btw do you find any diff bet F1 green terror you have compared to those commonly see in our LFS? I saw some in Aqua empire and the shop beside SAM goldfish with GT that have kok
Old 23-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
johannes

wow, bro, your melanurus grow so fast and so nice??
i also got 1 piece from stones, mine still small..

Last edited by johannes; 23-02-2012 at 11:07 AM.
johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyc View Post
yes they are the same now. Syn is classify as melanurus sometime last quarter 2011

http://cichlidamerique.bb-fr.com/t23...ilum-melanurus
From the abstract below, from link you provided, they cannot be so wrong... don't believe everything you read... even from peer-reviewed journals.

See bold, and I can see where u came from. These people need more money to fund their research characterising taxas. They most probably seen some dendograms, speculated an idea, head down to those places, and caught the wrong fish to begin with. Ha... What makes them so sure melas don't occur in places other than Lake Peten?... I did not read the whole paper, conceivable as it was written, their 1st assumption cannot be more careless and the consequences therefore became simply... unreliable.

And yes, i have syns from the same shipment... except the conspicous dark bend... everything about them is different. Ha...

Quote:
Paraneetroplus synspilus is a Junior Synonym of Paraneetroplus melanurus
(Teleostei: Cichlidae)
CALEB D. MCMAHAN1,2, CHRISTOPHER M. MURRAY2, AARON D. GEHEBER3,2,
CHRISTOPHER D. BOECKMAN2 & KYLE R. PILLER2
1Division of Ichthyology, LSU Museum of Natural Science, Baton Rouge, LA 70803 USA. E-mail: cmcmah2@lsu.edu
2Department of Biological Sciences, Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond LA 70402 USA
3Department of Zoology, University of Oklahoma, Norman OK 73019 USA
Abstract
The genus Paraneetroplus (Teleostei: Cichlidae) currently consists of 11 species that naturally occur from southern Mexico
south to Panama. Paraneetroplus melanurus (Günther 1862) is found in the Lago de Petén system of Guatemala, and
P. synspilus (Hubbs 1935) in the Río Grijalva-Usumacinta system, and other systems in Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala.
Reported morphological differences between the two nominal species in the literature are vague but center around characteristics
of a dark band that begins at the caudal fin and tapers anteriorly near mid-body. This band is reported as straight
(horizontal) in P. melanurus but ventrally sloped in P. synspilus. Some authors have previously suggested that these two
forms are not distinct. The purpose of this study was to conduct a systematic morphological comparison of P. melanurus
and P. synspilus to further investigate their validity. We examined meristic, morphometric, and geometric morphometric
characters and failed to recover diagnostic differences between these two forms.
The characters proposed to separate them
do not allow for their differentiation, and we conclude that P. synspilus is a junior synonym of P. melanurus. A re-description
of P. melanurus is provided on the basis of existing type material and additional material recently collected.
Key words: cichlid, taxonomy, morphology, Central America

Last edited by BubbleBubble; 23-02-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyc View Post
btw do you find any diff bet F1 green terror you have compared to those commonly see in our LFS? I saw some in Aqua empire and the shop beside SAM goldfish with GT that have kok
Wait for my spawn lah... gib u a few to play. U can have half the shoal if u have spare tank and take them once free swimming. Ha...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
wow, bro, your melanurus grow so fast and so nice??
i also got 1 piece from stones, mine still small..
Their colours and textures... pastel red... beautiful.
Old 23-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
lyc
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBubble View Post
From the abstract below, from link you provided, they cannot be so wrong... don't believe everything you read... even from peer-reviewed journals.

See bold, and I can see where u came from. These people need more money to fund their research characterising taxas. They most probably seen some dendograms, speculated an idea, head down to those places, and caught the wrong fish to begin with. Ha... What makes them so sure melas don't occur in places other than Lake Peten?... I did not read the whole paper, conceivable as it was written, their 1st assumption cannot be more careless and the consequences therefore became simply... unreliable.

And yes, i have syns from the same shipment... except the conspicous dark bend... everything about them is different. Ha...
I just extracted from 1 forum. Major cichild forums or organizations in the west have already use the new name and request hobbyists to use that too. There is also an official document published but need to pay if want to read the document.
Old 23-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
lyc
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBubble View Post
Wait for my spawn lah... gib u a few to play. U can have half the shoal if u have spare tank and take them once free swimming. Ha...
Many thanks in advance!