Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 AM   #11
Tay
Dragon

Watever size rays u gg to hv, if rays u bot not healthy, useless, if ur water no gd, useless, if ur filtration no gd, useless, if the antichlorine u use is no gd, useless, u don manage PH well, useless............

Is not abt size, is abt wats the above......

Is a misconception that big rays will do well. Yes, they will last longer than smaller pups in a no gd envir but eventually will still die.

Last edited by Tay; 05-02-2015 at 03:49 AM.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 01:40 AM   #12
smallfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX View Post
if your ray is healthy,water is clean
baby ray that just absorb their egg sag from 3.5''-5'',all minimum can last at least 5 days onwards without harm
bigger ray can last much longer,a full adults eg 20'' ray can last easily 3 wks lah

the real kill is when hv food,they don't want to eat ok
3weeks without food .wow
smallfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
Epon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX View Post
if your ray is healthy,water is clean
baby ray that just absorb their egg sag from 3.5''-5'',all minimum can last at least 5 days onwards without harm
bigger ray can last much longer,a full adults eg 20'' ray can last easily 3 wks lah

the real kill is when hv food,they don't want to eat ok
Dear experts
Got a few more rays . .. been feeding twice daily. Noticed they more hungry in morning than night.

Anyway When I travel , I will have my maid to feed 2 "cube " of frozen MP, which is ~4 to 5 MP. These "frozen cubes " are pre prepared by myself.. so maid just have to thaw them and drop into fgt.

Now, coming June , whole family goes 2 weeks holiday, maid goes my parents home.
Plan is to get a relative to come by once every 2 or 3 days to feed my 13", 10" and 8" sakura. .

Ph 6.7, all other param are good.. running on 8 feet fgt with 8 feet filter on top. Water in good condition. I think my rays are healthy so far..

When i am away.. Can do 1 feeding per 2 days or per 3 days? What u think? Sakura are needs more care as I read. They are more shy too..

Any comment or opinion?
Epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #14
Epon
Arofanatic

Anyway, they are comm with 3 x 10" endi and 1x15 inch gar.. I will say the sakura are most aggressive among the comm.. my gar has no guts.. he is stress out and eat much lesser after I comm him with others.. so sakura will not have stress or problems fighting for food
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #15
lierudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epon View Post
Dear experts
Got a few more rays . .. been feeding twice daily. Noticed they more hungry in morning than night.

Anyway When I travel , I will have my maid to feed 2 "cube " of frozen MP, which is ~4 to 5 MP. These "frozen cubes " are pre prepared by myself.. so maid just have to thaw them and drop into fgt.

Now, coming June , whole family goes 2 weeks holiday, maid goes my parents home.
Plan is to get a relative to come by once every 2 or 3 days to feed my 13", 10" and 8" sakura. .

Ph 6.7, all other param are good.. running on 8 feet fgt with 8 feet filter on top. Water in good condition. I think my rays are healthy so far..

When i am away.. Can do 1 feeding per 2 days or per 3 days? What u think? Sakura are needs more care as I read. They are more shy too..

Any comment or opinion?
The 13" should be OK with the 2-3 days feeding. The smaller ones, I'm not so sure.

Whatever your plan is.. the most important is to ensure that there is no significant amount of leftover. Small amount leftover is ok, your giant filtration system should be able to handle it
lierudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #16
Epon
Arofanatic

I am trying to pump them up with 2 daily meals. . Problem is the 10" female.. only feed on FGS. Now I am pumping her up.

Whenever I feed FGS, I will off the pump.. it's a mess. I have to drop the ice FGS cube directly in front of this ray .. it's still a mess. . After 30mins I will remove those Un eaten fgs and on the pump
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
Epon
Arofanatic

Also, I notice the 10" did not eat much during the first 1 week.. maybe just few pieces of MP over 7 days. That's why I worry and start the ghost shrimp. Anyway I will try to get help for feeding every 2 to 3 days when I am away.. and before that, I will pump them up.. hope this will be ok.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #18
RELAX
Dragon

if your water is good,ray are healthy,no stress from other source from eg tankmates,......then occasionally starving the rays for few days trip are no concern.
the real risk is you itchy backside trying to feed much much more before your trip or worse pour in feeders that you wanted to last for many days,these are potential deadly moves,instead of caring for your rays,you are exposing them to greater risk of foul water and parasites infestation

for trip lasting more than eg 4 days above,try to ask someone to feed them in 2-3 days interval,dont need everyday
,amount still remain the same as your per day feeding

those short trip 3-4 days type,just ignore them,dont need to worry.just make sure power don't trip good enough
RELAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
wmh
Dragon

usually when going for vacation for about 2 weeks, I asked help from relatives to feed every 3 days for my fish range from 6 inch to 20 inch

rays starve for 2-3 days are very normal...even for transportation purpose, I also starve my fish 2-3 days prior to the transportation

hope this help
wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #20
Epon
Arofanatic

Thanks guys. .I am away for 2 weeks.. so getting relative to feed every 3 days then.
I never feed feeder fish or left anything food Un eaten in tank..

I have other comm tank with aro and gars... those I never feed even 2 weeks away.

I agree water quality more important .. but for rays. .. I am more concern. .

Thanks for the advise