Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 24-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #51
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool View Post
Wahahaha....well say...agreed....kong liao kum...dun forgotten to take the money too..
who giving away money? why u no share here so everybirdy can go n take?
dave6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #52
KAO LUO
Endangered Dragon

wa ,, wu $$$ take some ? or u mean 1st of may .......
KAO LUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #53
kool
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6238 View Post
who giving away money? why u no share here so everybirdy can go n take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO LUO View Post
wa ,, wu $$$ take some ? or u mean 1st of may .......
1st of May cheng hoot heng lui...
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #54
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

cut n paste from email using phone internet sorry if any text is clumped.
don't know if shared here before
excellent thoughts by Ben Leong on fb :

criticizing the PAP Right 101

Although I'm unabashedly pro-establishment, I do believe that I'm a fair person. To say that things are humming along is to be blind.Some things are definitely not right, so what's wrong? To complete this exposition, perhaps I can offermy views on what is broken and why the system seems to me to be unravelling even though theStatemachinery is really humming along and not quite as broken as what many people seem to make it out to be.

1. High Political Salaries - This is a HUGE problem. - If people ask me what's going to cause the collapse of the system, I think this will be it. I'm not going to repeat the PM's rationale yada yada.It's all very sound arguments economically and what have you. Unfortunately, that hardly matters. The fact that the Ministerial salaries are astronomical is going to be factor in EVERY single discussion. Politicians don't win votes by reasoning with their voters. - My personal view is that I don't begrudge the current high salaries, but I don't see why anyone needs so much money. - The reason why these high salaries are objectionable is that it reduces themoralauthority of the Government to govern this nation.There are going to be a few major crisis coming up in the near future.The Government willneed to muster every ounce ofmoralauthority to push through tough policies and rally the people. But I might be wrong lah. I'm just a dumb prof inan ivory tower. What do I know? :-)

2. PAP is on a Burning Platform PAP has always campaigned on the platform, "You Votefor Me, I Solve Your Problems". Good for them, they actually delivered for like 5 decades and so nobody should begrudge them for trouncingthe Opposition.The questionis:how sustainable is such a platform? The world today is different from the1960s.The problems todayare much more complex and intractible than the problems a generation ago.Solving the problems oftodayis notsimply a question of smartness. Also, PAP's success at solving problems for thelast 50 years has engendered a culture of dependence. I worry for ourpeople if the day should comewhere we get a dose of incompetent government.The high pay makes everything worse.A lot of people seem to have this attitude, "since your pay is so high, you jolly well solve all my problems and give me a good life".

3. PAP is Losing the Battle in Expectation Management Because of the platform that the PAP has adopted, t is my view that it is failing in terms of expectation management. I really think that Singaporeans have unreasonable expectations on what the Govt can do. For example, supposed an pregnant woman loses her job. She might then complain that she has been unfairly dismissed and expect the Govt to do something about it. Lemme ask ourselves: whose job is it? It's notgoingto be your million-dollar minister stepping in to resolve the situation. Or perhaps some people expect that. In general, it's going to be some peon somewhere whohas this unpleasant job trying to resolve the situation. Is it always true that the company is at fault? Perhaps it doesn't workout. Maybe it's because the woman really had no case to begin with, or the public officer who was assigned to the job was incompetent or just didn't care.... and it's Government's fault? Basically, almost everything that goes wrong (regardless of whether it's Mas Selamat or floods, it's the Government's fault). There is no sense of perspective.

Do people know how big the Government is? Even if PAP wins every seat in the coming GE, that's 87 of them. The totalCivilService + publicservice (Stat Boards) probably numbers around 150K? How scary is it to think that if any of these 150,000 people screw up, it's your fault? :-P Is it reasonable? My view is no, but did I mention that thehigh pay is a huge political problem? :-)

4. PAP seems to have trouble with "Sorry" Let's have no illusions that all policies are correct. I actually think Singaporeans are pretty reasonable people. When the Government screws up, someone just stand up and say, "Sorry we screwed up, we'd clean up the mess". I think if the sorry is said with some sincerity, I think people will forgive. Then again, I might be wrong, in which case, I stand corrected. :-)

5. PAP Offends the People's Sense of Fairness In recent times, I have begun to appreciate our culture. I thinkSingaporeans aregoodpeople. Really. When I first read letters to the Forum Page suggesting that we should have a First Parliament where people all get along like one big campfire, I thought these peoplewerenaive and out of their minds. What are they talking about? Do they even know what politics is all about? Have they seen what happens in the US and in Taiwan? Then I realized that perhaps they don't have any idea and are somewhat naive, but they *REALLY* do believe that politics can be done "right". It also set me thinking:why do we not think that we cannot do politics better than any of the other failed democracies? We have much to be proud about and we are the exception rather than thenorm, so....
It really sucks when PAP does the following:
1. Tying upgrading to votes.
2. Change electorial boundaries before every election.
3. Shows a lack of grace (i.e. MrBrown incident in GE2006. I must say I don't have much love for Gomez, though I thinkthe PAP overdid it.) Are these BIG problems? Realistically, if you compare the situation here with theUS, things are really mild. It turns out that if we look anywhere else, pork barrel politics and gerry mandering are thenorm and not the exception. Rationally, one would be surprised that Singaporeans don't really accept these things even though they are the norm elsewhere.... but it turns out, we really don't like it (just like we also dun chew gum unlike anywhere else in theworld).

I actually dun think that the GRCs are a problemas long as election boundaries are fixed immediately after a GE to be used in the next GE.People do not expect the PAP to make life easy for the Opposition.They just want fair play. Golden rule: when you're big, it's bad form to bully.

6. PAP cannot do Sales The current PAP politicians are really bureaucrats morethan politicians. They are bungling so badly, it looks like a bad horror comedy.On theother hand, theharsh realities of politics in Singapore for theOpposition has "forced" them to level up in terms of their online media outreach. Many of our policies while unpopular are actually sound.The failure to communicate and explain is going to cost the PAP votes. -----------------------------

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #55
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Just found something amazing, shocking and sad:

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=460803

I have a created a thread specially for that information.... definitely worth sharing..... and KNOWING ....
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #56
Doctor_fish

All right!!! About time for a change. I really hope that Chiam See Tong will take over Toa payoh and Bishan.. those living around please vote for Wisely. Our flats do not need anymore upgrades.

The GST lie.. it is not 7 percent.. it is more... Goods from overseas, 7 percent, Wholesale to agent 7 percent, agent to store, 7 percent, store to consumers 7 percent.

Inflation lie... 1 SGD is 1.26 USD.. from 1.6 last time to 1.35 to 1.26.. We are inflating.. Our dollar is going up, but the prices for everything stay the same.

The money they are giving us is at may 1st is ours to begin with. With no voices to voice out, everything will go their way. Even if you they wanna voice out.. They will think twice. They will never bite the hand that feeds them.

HDB Prices are becoming condo prices. Good for those that owns one, bad for those who havent. for a 400k flat, every month the couple have to pay 1.6k to own a flat.. is that mad? increase and increase, our son's time will be more.. Property agents are being squeezed. The garment dun ever EVER EVER Want you to be rich.. AT ALL!!! They will find ways and means to stop you with a new law.

Smokers, they care for you health that is why they only give you 20 sticks a pack. no more 7 10 14 sticks. 20 will be just nice for you to quit smoking! They increase prices to stop you from smoking, how caring.. Yellow boxes.. to keep you in line.. Or to fine you?

NEA Hides dustbins. source from NEA friend.. to hit thier quota.

The scare.. All your votes are known to them.. BEWARE.. Source from PA is.. So many of you.. they wont even bother counting who vote who.. Think they will spend money to tally data meh?

Dunhill and Marlboro red, 7 11 in town, 12 dollars, 1 liter of petrol is more expensive then 1 liter of milk, tell that to the World. Prices go up never comes down. How many of you do not feel these effects? I sure do and believe that many here too feel the effects!

Vote for a change!!
Old 26-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #57
soomin
Arofanatic

Default The Unknown Side of Singapore

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
soomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #58
sengwoon
Arofanatic

Definitely poverty exist in Singapore...
I see people eating the unfinished food at hawkers, searching the rubbish bin for precious cans and food...
In some ways, these group of people suffer without much people knowing, I think they are not outspoken or suffer in silent?
sengwoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #59
richardg
Arofanatic

For their contribution in the past years, lets offer them NMP and NCMP positions
hahahaha
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #60
ymmij
Senior Dragon

PAP Abuses Town Councils.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote