Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 28-07-2015, 06:27 PM   #31
No78
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbertwo View Post
I only feed them the waffle enough for everyone (7 of them) on one round that's all, so maybe 2-3 pcs that's it. As it is a sinking food so the gf will finish them off in 5-10 seconds. If you don't leave the waffle in the tank it will not cloud the water for sure irregardless of the tank size and filter setup. Hope that clarifies.. heh.
BTW how big your ranchu .
As day 1 till now and size of grow ?

If you have 7pcs ranchu and you only feed 2-3 pcs every time , other type of diet you feeding them too ?

BTW my water cloudy is not about leaving the food them (cause no chance of leftover food) , is after they eat up and poo out .
Compare to other diet or pellets .
No78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 06:33 PM   #32
numbertwo

Like many others, I give them various diets, ie. BW, frozen brine shrimp, vege ie. spinach, toufu, hikari saki growth/color, JPD, wheat germ, and this algae waffle etc.. I don't really into measuring their growth so long as they stay healthy in my tank. I'm using sump tank with about 30-50% WC weekly. btw..i have a mix of ranchu, orandas and ryukin.

anyway, hope i'm not sidetracking here.. back to duckweed
numbertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #33
No78
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbertwo View Post
Like many others, I give them various diets, ie. BW, frozen brine shrimp, vege ie. spinach, toufu, hikari saki growth/color, JPD, wheat germ, and this algae waffle etc.. I don't really into measuring their growth so long as they stay healthy in my tank. I'm using sump tank with about 30-50% WC weekly. btw..i have a mix of ranchu, orandas and ryukin.

anyway, hope i'm not sidetracking here.. back to duckweed
Bro , may I know what make you think soak the algae waffle better then without soaking ?

Don't worry about it, we here to share and learn .
Old 28-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #34
numbertwo

Hi .. ease of digesting especially this hard algae wafer (it is actually pretty hard and solid!) ... My gf loves them soft compare to just throw the bits into the tank.. I prefer them to consume whatever I feed them within minutes rather than seeing the wafer lying on the bottom (the gf will tend to puke out, and re-take a few times before they totally consume it). I believe it is developed to target algae eater ie. pleco to slowly leech on the wafer .. Same goes to wheat germs, i also soak them before I feed but this is rather due to avoiding SBP when feeding floating pellets.
numbertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #35
llewellyn
Dragon

I only started feeding algae wafers upon reading this thread.
And after breaking into tiny bits, I soak them too...… thinking that it might be too hard for the ranchu~
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 01:16 AM   #36
No78
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewellyn View Post
I only started feeding algae wafers upon reading this thread.
And after breaking into tiny bits, I soak them too...… thinking that it might be too hard for the ranchu~
How big is your ranchu ?
Old 29-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #37
llewellyn
Dragon

Ranges between (estimate) 8cm to 14cm. Not including the tail. Btw, these are side view ranchu, not top.
Thank you.
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #38
TVR

Some duckweed from Thai. Thanks to bro Kit.
TVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 12:46 PM   #39
kitsilano

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arotok View Post
Richard

You mentioned that the Thais gives their fishes a lot of duckweeds. Guess they must
have learn fm the jap masters. Few questions here :

1. Duckwčeds given to all ages ie. Bbr cbr tosaii and even oya?
2. Why give duckweeds? Better digestion n something like veg in their diet?
Yes duckweeds for all ages....Bangkok is very hot most of the year round and most Thai keepers like to put duckweeds in their tub...first and foremost...natural shade and helps shield the fishes from direct Sunlight. Also natural filtration as the roots absorb the fish waste as food.

Ranchu and in fact all goldfishes will do well with some vegetation in their diet. I used to buy green spinach and feed to the ranchus...with duckweed the diet is even better as duckweed are live plants...fresh, smaller and softer form of vegetation.

Gonna goes off the tangent and talk about animals/fishes survival in the wild. We as keepers of fishes are the maker/decider of the fishes health...we tend to use "our human" perception through observation and feel to give the "right amount" of food to our fishes...many a times our feel is wrong and fishes tend to be sick from our overfeeding or don't grow well bcos of ouir underfeeding. Duckweed in its ever present stage in the tub is continous food for the ranchu...FREE FEEDING on duckweed helps the ranchu regulate their eating regimen and will naturally help shape the ranchu body to its natural ideal shape...if feeding duckweeds regularly, keepers can moderate their feeding pattern and help groom the ranchu more ideally. Are you all confused...sorry old man sometimes cannot put across clearly
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #40
Quasi

You mean like healthy snacks between meals right Uncle Kit? I totally agreed with you....just that in application it is a bit messy and God forbid some of that change water find it ways into the drain.
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote