Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
doyc76
Arofanatic

Default My Arowana Journey

Hi all. Would like to share my Aro journey. My first arowana was as a kid. Silver i believe it was. Don't recall how far back that was. Unfortunately, the aro didn't last beyond a year.

Second aro was a green. This was circa 1993. Left to study in Australia and would always be amazed at the huge growth when i return home for summer vacation. Was kept in a 4x2x2. Passed on whilst i was away at school.

Had a Jardini in Australia for about 2 years (1996-97). Poor fella got eaten by an eel that got too large.

Always wanted an asian arowana, other than green. Whilst majestic, wasn't too eye-catching in terms of colour.

Anyways, fast forward 15 years, I've stopped moving country, stopped renting, and have settled down. Great, fish tank time!

Went 6x2x2.5 in mid-2012. Decided on a south american comm theme…but the lure of the arowana kept tugging at my heartstrings. I could go silver, but they get way too big. An asian would violate the South American theme i had going…but kenna poisoned by AF. Plus my 4 year old son suggested i should get an arowana. Bless him.

So I browsed and browsed through AF, soaking up as much as i could. Super confusing boy! Growing up, only got the aussie ark's, silver, gold, red and green. Now got so many names and acronyms, blur like sotong. On top of that, got tanning regime. Wah lau eh! So complicated now…I'm sure 20 years ago no such thing.

When I was little, a family friend had a red aro that really mesmerised me. The vision of it still sticks with me to this day. It was a young fish but had a super fan tail and was red like nobody's business (despite being a young fish). Now that i think back, it could've been the lighting colour. So i decided on a red.

I swear I looked at every picture on the 'showcase your red' thread.

The claims on quality by DreamFish Inc. really took to me and despite the "see fish, don't see cert.", I wasn't experience enough to see fish. See cert. also dunno, cos dunno which farm was famous and which not so. Anyways, dropped by DreamFish in September 2012 to look see look see. Met Nicholas who wasn't feeling well that day but attended to me anyway. There was a tank of Prestige Reds that were shortly going for export, so i thought what the heck, might as well have my pick before the good ones get sent overseas. No Merlion Reds were available then, but just as well cos the Prestige Reds were already a pretty penny…and my track record with Aros thus far hadn't been spectacular.

Dunno what to see, dunno what i like. Just concerned with getting a Grade 1 red. So, with the guidance of Nicholas, I selected my fish. Small little fella he was…about the length of my palm.

Here he is, getting his tag. 5 September 2012 that day was.

I wonder how old it was at the point of tagging.

Not really one to document its development, but i did manage an odd picture here and there.

Here he is 4 months on, in Jan 2013. He's grown a fair bit, but no colour to be seen.

Nevertheless, happy that he's doing ok, and keeping in mind that must be patient with reds. Plus, the teachings of AF, 'keeping fish is about keeping good water'…or something along those lines.

Finally in April 2013, 7 months on, start to see some cracking of the cheeks and a little bit of speckled colour on the rims of the scales. Ho-seh! But i swear i would be staring at the cheeks and the scales constantly wondering whether my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Kiasu, started reading about tanning lights. Went for the Qian Hu miracle light. Eventually switched to Arcadia. The Qian Hu's worked but not really very effective in my opinion.

Anyways, huge difference as the colour starts to develop as time goes by. This pic at 1 year from tag date, September 2013.

Most recent picture, taken 23 November 2013. Based on my lousy approximation, it is about 20-21 inches. Colour is slowly expanding into the scales…hope it continues to develop.

Main diet this last year has been MP mostly but mixed in with toman fillet, squid, pellets and the occasional SW treat. Last two or three months its gone off food. Have to dangle MP right in front of its mouth. Used to take 2-3 MP's daily, then reduced to 1 every other day. Now switched to SW and BF diet. Have decided that i don't want to compromise growth whilst it is still young.

Anyways, still a work in progress. Will be moving house in Q3 next year and will upgrade its living quarters to 8x3x3 or 8x3x2.5.
doyc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
fadzli88
Arofanatic

Beautiful aro there buddy
fadzli88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
doyc76
Arofanatic

Big fan of wave makers and this fella likes to surf. Video taken tonight.

[YOUTUBE]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UVWGfH04r1w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
doyc76
Arofanatic

Damn my noob-ness! Help!

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/UVWGfH04r1w[/YOUTUBE]
Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
doyc76
Arofanatic

3rd time's a charm...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
joemalu
Arofanatic

Nice red. The tigrunus also very nice.
joemalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
pearl1982
Dragon

Very nice red u have bro..
pearl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
WAWA

Bulky and Nice red.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
sambalfish
Arofanatic

thanks for sharing bro! very impressive red !!
sambalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

bro, just awesome & swee
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote