Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 18-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
beo

Default Need help on guppy keeping.

Hi guys,
I recently bought about ten guppies, not the feeder sort as I wanted them a little more hardy. But not I am left with only 3.

Most died when jumping out of tank.
Tank is mature and kept shrimps/chiclids/corys.

Questions:

1 Is a small leopard cory scaring them?
2 is it cause the water level too high?
3 do they need a little salt?

On another note, does anyone know where they sell those bags of feeder guppies? Wanna show my son how guppies breed. Or if bros have culls to sell also can pm me thanks.
Old 18-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
MiyukiRei
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beo View Post
Hi guys,
I recently bought about ten guppies, not the feeder sort as I wanted them a little more hardy. But not I am left with only 3.

Questions:

On another note, does anyone know where they sell those bags of feeder guppies? Wanna show my son how guppies breed. Or if bros have culls to sell also can pm me thanks.

Lower water level or use a cover . Doubt the cory scares them , i dont use salt for my guppies. just introduce them to the tank like other fishes.
MiyukiRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
nefish
Dragon

Don't buy those feeder guppies to keep....they die easy too. Maybe can try those $1 type....be sure no dead fish in the tank when buying. Grey eyes easier than albino.
nefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Rutilans
User Under Moderation

If u really want can try these places
C328-clementi florist and aquarium
Y618-that aquarium
Yunfeng aquarium
Etc.......
Actually almost all lfs have
Rutilans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
Jasmine1005
Arofanatic

I use salt when i wc.. and normally i do 100% wc.. in the tank i have those $1 kind and 2 feeder females.. in the tank i have a leopard cory as well.. normally they just do their own thing..

I think for your case, try using a cover first.. thats the 1st thing that come to my mind to prevent them for jumping..

just my 2 cents.
Jasmine1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beo View Post
Hi guys,

Questions:

1) Don't think so, cory swim at bottom and peaceful;
2) Regardless of water height, you have to have a cover as guppies are jumpers;
3) Don't need to add salt, just declorine your tap water will do, guppies are super hardy.

Do NOT try to raise feeder guppies. They will carry diseases to your tank and infect your other fishes/filters/etc. If u just want to show your son how guppies breed, I can spare you some of my own >> FREE, bred from those $1 guppies I bought in April. They have grown to adult size now. Nothing fancy, just common guppies but diseases free. I'm staying in Tampines, msg me.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
kaner

Personally I have high water level but none of my guppies jump. However, if the water isn't suitable for this guppy, they will feel stressed and will tend to jump. Having said guppies are jumpers, a cover might help. But if the water is not suitable, it may just die in the water as well. : ) This is my experience previously.
Old 22-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #8
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
Personally I have high water level but none of my guppies jump. However, if the water isn't suitable for this guppy, they will feel stressed and will tend to jump. Having said guppies are jumpers, a cover might help. But if the water is not suitable, it may just die in the water as well. : ) This is my experience previously.
Agree with bro kaner. If the water not suitable how low is it will also jump. Mine also fill till very high =)
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Brichardi
Dragon

Not only water conditions, if other species are aggressive towards guppies, they jump too, thus no matter what has to have a cover. Cover provides other uses too, .....example prevent birds/cats/dogs/children/etc from 'playing' with the water, less evaporation, stabilize/retain the water temperature better, etc.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote