Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 13-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
kanesh

Default Keeping Orandas

Hi Bros and Sis, just reignited my obsession over orandas, i m using a 4X1.5X1.5 tank to keep them, and using canister as a filter medium, should i change it to OHF? Adavance thanks !
Old 13-08-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

I think OHF will be good Post pics of your fishes!!
shawnchen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #3
goalkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnchen89 View Post
I think OHF will be good Post pics of your fishes!!
agree, ohf or sump better than canister for gf. I tried all three. good luck and welcome to the world of gfs. look forward to seeing your gf pics.
Old 14-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Best run both!
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
blackgf
Arofanatic

OHF setup is simple & straight forward. Maintainance is child play, only once a month clean the media with used tank water. Weekly wc about 20% to 30%.
blackgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
kanesh

Thank you very much for the advise bros!
Old 16-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
Planted

how many orandas are you keeping? any possibility of a planted tank, artificial plant of cuz. otherwise the gf may destroy all. ;p eager to see your product.
Old 16-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
huizhong

Ohf would be easier to maintain. Canister is good but quite troublesome to change the filter wool inside if your canister is big and heavy. Gf poo alot thus need to change the wool frequently.
Ohf on the other hand is easy. Just replace the wool at the top layer. 
Old 17-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
kanesh

Smile

Hi bros, I kept 4 small oranges and one big, three of them died due to their white bacteria , after adding in the yellow powder within a day three died, two survived and got stronger actually, I changed my canister to OHF already, now with the added power air from the pump, the fishes are looking more happy and are swimming gracefully with their fins opened up, mine is actually a bare tank , so that the focus are on the goldies! Haha, will post the pics ASAP after getting back my laptop , now using my iPhone so quite troublesome, thanks alot to Shawn chen who advised me on how to treat the goldies, still getting the hang of the forum , pardon me if I offended anyone,
Thanks for all ur insightful comments, keeping Gf has always been my interest from the age of 5, this is my 4th attempt is as many years, hopefully I am successful this time round!
Old 17-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
huizhong

Observe the fishes when u r using yellow powder. Very often the yellow powder is too strong for the sick fishes and they just die faster than without medication.
Having methylene blue in ur store is good. It can treat white spots effectively without doing much harm to your gfs. It's good for killing external parasites.
At all times, I would suggest keeping the water clean and add salt also. Dun forget about the anti chlorine when u change water.