Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 04-03-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Gryffindor

Default Male or Female??

Dear Bro & SIs,

How to identify gold fish that is a male or Female. My friend say its tail. Pls advise??
Old 04-03-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
Louis

Sexing Goldfish

Sexing is rather one of the more challenging tasks to a breeder, as there are not many noticable signs. However there are a few. I have stated them below and provided a small sketch of each.

Males

Some noticable signs on the males are white spots, known as tubercles appearing on their gill plate. These tubercles are also present along the pectoral fins of the males. Compared to females, the males have thinner Anal Fins. On males, you can see that their vent tends to concave (goes in) and is not very noticable.

Females
Females on the other hand show somewhat opposite characteristics from the males. Sometimes females can also show signs of tubercles on their gill plates and pectoral fins. However they are not as significant as the males. Females will exhibit thicker anal fins, and will have vents that convex (sticks out). Their breeding tube, as some call it are relatively larger in size, compared to the males. During spawning season, females will have noticable larger abdomens.

Hope this helps you identiify your Goldfish Gryffindor.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
Gryffindor

Quote:
Originally posted by Louis
Sexing Goldfish

Sexing is rather one of the more challenging tasks to a breeder, as there are not many noticable signs. However there are a few. I have stated them below and provided a small sketch of each.

Males

Some noticable signs on the males are white spots, known as tubercles appearing on their gill plate. These tubercles are also present along the pectoral fins of the males. Compared to females, the males have thinner Anal Fins. On males, you can see that their vent tends to concave (goes in) and is not very noticable.

Females
Females on the other hand show somewhat opposite characteristics from the males. Sometimes females can also show signs of tubercles on their gill plates and pectoral fins. However they are not as significant as the males. Females will exhibit thicker anal fins, and will have vents that convex (sticks out). Their breeding tube, as some call it are relatively larger in size, compared to the males. During spawning season, females will have noticable larger abdomens.

Hope this helps you identiify your Goldfish Gryffindor.

thanks for the info bro Louis. Abit chum leh, is there any easier way. I see my fried just take a peep at the tail he can tell is male or female. Dun know he really know or just act act one. haha!
Old 05-03-2003, 01:32 AM   #4
GOOD

Chim very chim.....
Old 05-03-2003, 01:44 AM   #5
LASERGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by Gryffindor
thanks for the info bro Louis. Abit chum leh, is there any easier way. I see my fried just take a peep at the tail he can tell is male or female. Dun know he really know or just act act one. haha!
If you are refering to single or double anal fin ?
Sorry, this is the wrong way of judge male or female fish lah.
Ask your friend how he differentiate loh, to check whether he is acting or not ?
Old 05-03-2003, 01:58 AM   #6
GOOD

Then how to judge?
Old 05-03-2003, 10:20 AM   #7
LASERGUY

Quote:
Originally posted by GOOD
Then how to judge?
Judge as what Bro Louis posted lor, look at their anuses shape.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:27 PM   #8
Xerovix

first posted by happybuddha...

L=Male; R=Female

Last edited by Xerovix; 29-04-2003 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:01 PM   #9
Gryffindor

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
first posted by happybuddha...

L=Male; R=Female
Thanks bro Xerovix for showing the pics. At least now got clearer pic in my mind of how to choose a Male Goldfish.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:30 AM   #10
Louis

This has actually been a common question for a lot of us. Therefore, I think that it is a good idea to stick this thread for others to refer to.

Regards