Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 23-02-2005, 09:27 PM   #21
kimkuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong
First pic show a gold base fish.. likely to be a full gold when adult.
2nd pic show a blue base fish.. likely to be gold base but not full gold when adult.
Bro Fong,

the 2nd pic XB i notice there is green core on the scales.
1. Does the greenish core determines the base colour too?
2. Will the green core stays there even it reach adult hood?

Thanks

Old 23-02-2005, 09:51 PM   #22
kimkuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
I rather not comment on this....

One of the ways to determine the based colour of the fish is to placed them in dark tank...for a couple of days...this will definitely bring out the base colour...all the truth will be out then.

I thing I am quite sure of...theres not alot of gold-based aro in the market.
but when XB is small, they seems to exibit blue base....and slowly turns gold when bigger....am i right?

Old 23-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #23
fong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic
Thats not changing of colour....its thickening of the fish frame. Happen to red aro as well...does that mean a blue based red will then be a red based then due to red rims thickening inward to base?? No. It will still be a blue based red...but with very thick frame. For XB its the same....thick framed but still blue/green base.
I engineering trained.. so lets throw in some facts here:

1) you say "that is not changing of colour .. its thickening of the fish frame...: "
a) first define what is scale frame : frame line divides the scale into 2 different segment. The outer portion of the scale (frame) and the inner portion (base/core). Take a look at an adult cross back scale. You can see a distinct mark running along the circumference of the scale. Between this mark and the scale rim is what we call the scale frame. The frame will always grow in proportion with scale. It will not widen and travel into the core as the color progresses inward. So i cannot agree with u.

b) If the logic of color travelling inwards is the thickening of the frame... then how u explain color formation in the form of speckles of dots right in the centre of the scale and this gold speckles does not travel with the so call widening of frame?

I dont think i was wrong on this. I am not saying you are wrong, but let the members be their own judge okie?

Last edited by fong; 23-02-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 23-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #24
Beerman
Endangered Dragon

Thumbs up

Quote:

1) you say "that is not changing of colour .. its thickening of the fish frame...: "
a) first define what is scale frame : frame line divides the scale into 2 different segment. The outer portion of the scale (frame) and the inner portion (base/core). Take a look at an adult cross back scale. You can see a distinct mark running along the circumference of the scale. Between this mark and the scale rim is what we call the scale frame. The frame will always grow in proportion with scale. It will not widen and travel into the core as the color progresses inward.

b) If the logic of color travelling inwards is the thickening of the frame... then how u explain color formation in the form of speckles of dots right in the centre of the scale and this gold speckles does not travel with the so call widening of frame?

I dont think i was wrong on this. I am not saying you are wrong, but let the members be their own judge okie?

Agreed..........
Old 23-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #25
fong
Dragon

maybe you can share your opinion. Is a Qian Hu Super Grade EB. I guess it will be a gold base ARO.. meaning u wont see any core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkuan
Bro Fong,

the 2nd pic XB i notice there is green core on the scales.
1. Does the greenish core determines the base colour too?
2. Will the green core stays there even it reach adult hood?

Thanks
Old 24-02-2005, 12:04 AM   #26
kimkuan

Quote:
maybe you can share your opinion. Is a Qian Hu Super Grade EB. I guess it will be a gold base ARO.. meaning u wont see any core.
i dont know that's why i asked. cos i see many XBs also have this greenish core.
at what stage than the core will disappear?

Old 24-02-2005, 01:15 AM   #27
fong
Dragon

I have seen cross backs with mix of green genes. These type of aros the gold intensity not there.

Many fishes exhibits green core. It is not uncommon. The green core will not disappear as in "disappear". It may be covered by the gold pigmentation as the aro reaches maturity. If you scrap off the gold off the scales, guess u will see the green core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkuan
i dont know that's why i asked. cos i see many XBs also have this greenish core.
at what stage than the core will disappear?
Old 24-02-2005, 02:21 AM   #28
vic
Dragon

Quote:

a) first define what is scale frame : frame line divides the scale into 2 different segment. The outer portion of the scale (frame) and the inner portion (base/core). Take a look at an adult cross back scale. You can see a distinct mark running along the circumference of the scale. Between this mark and the scale rim is what we call the scale frame. The frame will always grow in proportion with scale. It will not widen and travel into the core as the color progresses inward. So i cannot agree with u.

So the frame will always be in poportion with the inner portion?? Take a look at this pic I have taken from Arowania.

This is a young XB with a very nice blue based....and well defined frame. If what u say is true then as the aro grow bigger it should retain its proportion of its frame and inner base.

Old 24-02-2005, 02:23 AM   #29
vic
Dragon

This is the same XB after 2 yrs....

Where is the frame and core?? Wheres the proportion u mentioned?? Is it a gold based aro now?? or still blue based??

So the core colour have changed to gold?? or is it the thickening of the frame have covered up the blue based??
Old 24-02-2005, 02:28 AM   #30
vic
Dragon

Quote:

Development of aro takes a few form....for red as well as for gold....can't have a "one type fit all".