Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
irindale
Arofanatic

hi TS, if you like knifefish (which i adore), i recommend Ossa Knifefish (Rhamphichthys rostratus) they are available time to time at C328.

extremely hardly, very very peaceful and they eat bloodworms.
irindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

ur shrimps will not survive ur fishes. catfishes tend to grow big very quickly, not suitable for ur tank and filtration as they feed alot as well. loaches shld be ok as well.
with ur black ghost knifefish confirmed, cories are ok. fighting fish shld be ok but u can only keep 1 male as they are conspecific. if female fighting fish, it is ok. puffer fish will grow big and end up eating ur smaller fishes + they typically feed on snails. to go lfs and buy feeder snails is quite time consuming. african cichilds are ok but may look odd in terms of colour combination.
alternative top dwellers u can consider: angelfish, cardinal tetras, guppies.

Last edited by issacyeo; 02-11-2011 at 12:02 PM.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
cubicon

cories and loaches shd be fine .... i love cories as well ... shall shelf the catfishes then.

actually main concern was the male betta and bkf as they seems to be swimming on the same tier ... puffer maybe next time bah. schooling tetras are out, kinda looking at "big fishes" this round.

irin, will take alook when i pop by c328
cubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
cubicon

dang ~~~~ my knifefish and betta fighting .... and the betta is losing .

on hind side, at least the 2 inch wood shrimp is not being disturb ...
Old 17-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #15
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

post some of ur tank photos pls.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
cubicon

yup, will do so ...

now bugging me ... why the devil keep on attacking the betta which is just smaller in length abit to it ... while the feeder and the 2 inch prawn is unharm. It have been overnite already and the last feeder i have inside, its fins and tail still looks intact ... tmd ...
Old 18-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #17
cubicon

final straw ... saw the devil bite the betta on its tail and drag it all the way to the bottom.

one of them have to go ...
Old 19-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Can i ask what sort of black gravel are you using? Not quartz I hope, coz if it's quartz, than I doubt your tank would be suitable for most bottom feeders like cories and loaches. With a tank size like that (I have the same tank, curved corners too?), think you are better off keeping 1 main fish and prob some tetra for schooling. Is your knife fish swimming most of the time at the top or mid or bottom? If top, go for tetras, whether neons or cardinals, as these will shine brilliantly on your dark substrate and background together with your LEDs. Moreover, since tetras mostly keep to the lower levels and are fast swimmers, may decrease the aggression in your knife fish. Do provide some places for the tetras to hide at night when they are resting.

Your knife fish will outgrow the tank size as well, so I hope you have an upgrading program in mind. Keeping too many big fishes will cause your water parameters to go haywire fast, due to the bioloads.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #19
cubicon

here is a pic of my tank with the current 4 occupants.
1x feeder fish
1x betta
1x devil
1x wood shrimp

IMG]http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/795/imgp1569800x531.jpg[/IMG]

tank volumn is about 16 litres, tank dimension is around 40x19x24. as you can see, i box up my betta to prevent him from being brutally attack by the betta. Guess i'm gonna let go of the devil and release back the betta and get a few schooling fish. Also thinking of getting a 2nd slighty bigger wood shrimp

Do my sand look like quartz? I'm not really sure. but yeah .. if it is then no bottom feeder as it might hurt them.
Old 21-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #20
cubicon

oppss ... paiseh