Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 30-04-2006, 10:20 AM   #31
amiidae

which ever model you go for - at least must come with a hotshoe.

ben

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #32
illusionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidus04
Hi all,
I am looking through some specs. Would like to have advice from u guys how the following can affect a picture:

I am comparing Ricoh Caplio GX vs Canon PowerShot A530.

1. Aperture "F2.5 - F4.3" vs "F3.3 - F4.8". Is a bigger aperture F2.5 good for taking aquarium pics cos they are usually dark so a lareger aperture allow u to have quick shutter speed to capture for fast moving fishes?

2. Zoom wide (W) "26 mm" vs "35mm". A 26mm would give wider angle. Does wide angle means you can stand closer to your fish and have the entire length of your fish in there? like macro mode?

4. Finally any advice on which one to get? and where to get a good deal? More inclined towards the Ricoh because of the wide angle 26mm, and large aperture F2.5.

Thanks.
1. Yes you got that right

2. Well actually I think for macro, what matters more is the minimum focusing distance, not how wide your camera can go. Wide angles are useful for taking large group shots and also landscape.

3. Personal preference It's gonna be your camera, not mine, so make sure you make a decision you won't regret ya??? Happy shooting!
Old 30-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #33
tidus04

Hi amiidae,
hotshoe - refers to the slot where you can put in external flash issit? From the pic of GX http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/caplio/gx/specs.html#01 There is one on the top right hand corner. Any advice what sort of external flash is good?

Hi illusionist,
How is the difference between macro mode and the focal length? The GX has focal length 28mm(W)-85mm(T) and macro of 1cm. Canon A530 has 35mm(W) but also can achieve 1cm macro. Is macro related to focal length?

Another general photography query: After setting the aperture and the shutter speed when I focus (using the half depress the shutter button) what changes to bring the picture into focus?

Any advice where sells best price Ricoh

Thanks.

Last edited by tidus04; 30-04-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 30-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #34
amiidae

Quote:
Hi amiidae,
hotshoe - refers to the slot where you can put in external flash issit? From the pic of GX http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/caplio/gx/specs.html#01 There is one on the top right hand corner. Any advice what sort of external flash is good?
yup, that is a hotshoe.

without an ext. flash, shooting fast moving fish can be a pain.

plus, shooting with ext. flash allows greater details (since you can push up your speed and F) when in close-up.

i'm no expert when come to flash recomendation.

ben

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #35
domvonn
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Hi amiidae,

Hi illusionist,
How is the difference between macro mode and the focal length? The GX has focal length 28mm(W)-85mm(T) and macro of 1cm. Canon A530 has 35mm(W) but also can achieve 1cm macro. Is macro related to focal length?

Another general photography query: After setting the aperture and the shutter speed when I focus (using the half depress the shutter button) what changes to bring the picture into focus?

Any advice where sells best price Ricoh

Thanks.
Hi Bro, for the ricoh ,"F2.5 - F4.3" and 28mm Wide - 85 mm Telephoto , meaning, you can only achieve F4.3 when u max zoom to 85 and F2.5 at the widest 28mm .u will need flash or very bright tank lights to have a comfortable shutter speed to prevent handshake blur. for macro mode, i concur with bro illusionist, the ability to focus at a near distance. if u use WA to shoot , u will capture the whole tank as well.* depends on wat u wanna shoot and wat kind of pics u wanted *

As for ur qn : Another general photography query: After setting the aperture and the shutter speed when I focus (using the half depress the shutter button) what changes to bring the picture into focus?

i dun quite understand leh can elaborate more?
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #36
tidus04

1. Is aperture and focal length related? Thought they are independent parameters? Can I have F2.5 (large aperture) with 28mm as well as F2.5 with 85mm?

2. What are the characteristics of large aperture? I understand that With large aperture F2.5, more light can get in so I can set faster shutter speed and so dun need a flash?

3. For the general photography question, what i was trying to understand is what does the camera do to bring a picture into focus?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #37
tidus04

1. Is aperture and focal length related? Thought they are independent parameters? Can I have F2.5 (large aperture) with 28mm as well as F2.5 with 85mm?

2. What are the characteristics of large aperture? I understand that With large aperture F2.5, more light can get in so I can set faster shutter speed and so dun need a flash?

3. For the general photography question, what i was trying to understand is what does the camera do to bring a picture into focus?

4. When do pple look for large aperture F2.5?

5. When do pple look for short focal length 28mm(W)?

Thanks.

Last edited by tidus04; 01-05-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #38
domvonn
Senior Dragon

1. Is aperture and focal length related? Thought they are independent parameters? Can I have F2.5 (large aperture) with 28mm as well as F2.5 with 85mm? hi bro, for prosumer cams., usually there is no fixed aperture , the more u zoom in the aperture will become smaller, thus when u see the specs of a cam, ie : 18-55mm - 3.5-5.6 if i zoom to 55mm i can only attain f5.6 for the biggest aperture. unless if u were to go into dslr, there are zoom lens that have a fixed aperture even when u zoom to the max. * ie 17-40mm F4*

2. What are the characteristics of large aperture? I understand that With large aperture F2.5, more light can get in so I can set faster shutter speed and so dun need a flash? yes ! but using flash has got its own advantages !
3. For the general photography question, what i was trying to understand is what does the camera do to bring a picture into focus? the focusing of most DC shud be using its own software ,usually by doing a half pressed shutter.

4. When do pple look for large aperture F2.5? : under lowlight conditions ,or for portraits as the larger the aperture the lesser DOF

5. When do pple look for short focal length 28mm(W)? like wat bro illusionist had said its usually for landscape or maybe a group photo where u need to capture a wide field of view, for me i use a WA lens when i travel.
Thanks

Juz my 2 cents, please correct me if any input is incorrect thanx!

lastly i recommend u buy a tripod for more support.
domvonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:49 AM   #39
tidus04

Thanks...
Old 08-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #40
sherman

[QUOTE=tidus04]1. Is aperture and focal length related? Thought they are independent parameters? Can I have F2.5 (large aperture) with 28mm as well as F2.5 with 85mm?
If your camera has manual mode you still can have F2.5 at any focal length.
Larger aperture allow you to have sharp subject and others out of focus.
When the light is too low it is very hard to freeze your subject unless you combine the use of exposure compensation and/or firm speed.
Alternatively you can use flash to freeze your moving subject

4. When do pple look for large aperture F2.5?

5. When do pple look for short focal length 28mm(W)?
Good for landscape or when you are in a confine place and you need to fill in as much as you can in your frame

Thanks