Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

Default Food for guppy fries

I know that many bros on arofanatics feed their guppy fries with baby brine shrimp.Some feed their guppy fries with baby tubifex.Many people find them baby brine shrimp is quite a hassle. Thus, today, i would like to recommend another type of live food for their guppy fries which is hassle-free.The live food is grindals worms.They can be cultured in plastic container with synthetic sponge pads.All that we need to do is just feed the grindal worms with food such as oats or dog food regularly.Guppy fries take the grindals immediately after their yolk sac is being absorbed.Grindal worms are high in nutrition such like baby brine shrimp, however they should not be fed to the fries in excess as they contains high level of fats thus the most is to feed them to our guppy fries thrice a day.I hope this guide would interest more people to join the hobby and not give up on the hobby due to the need to feed baby brine shrimp almost everyday
Sgguppylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
wilsonguppy
Arofanatic

Is there a miniature size of the grindal worms?

For me I feed them microworms or vinegar eels.
wilsonguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

There is.Grindal worms are very clean too just like microworms and vinegar eels.Also, grindal worms don't give out any smell at all unlike microworms.Nutrition wise, my experience is that fries grow faster being fed with grindal worms compared to vinegar eels/ microworms
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
cheekoon
Dragon

saw grindal worms before during my betta days. but isn't it too big for newborn guppy fry?

i agree that it's a good alternative to bbs and tubi.
cheekoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
jest1081
Dragon

ive been using spirulina and decap bbs.

would like to learn how you culture these!

why dont you share a few things esp how you harvest em!
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
kaner

And maybe you can share how fast do they reproduce so that your culture can be kept ongoing without adding new stock to culture.

How big the container ofor culture is needed?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
rnkw

Any pictures to share? It sounds interesting.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
ah_ray
Dragon

interested to try the grindal worm. do u have the culture to share?
ah_ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

I know you bros are excited.Calm down.I am so sorry but i cannot give away worms now as i am in the stage of stabling my second culture. Firstly, if you want to maintain a culture of grindal worms, you will need a container which can hold water such as those plastic container you get when you takeaway food.Next, you will need some sponge pads to keep the cultures. Place your pads till a certain height.Then add a small[IMG][/IMG]er cut pad on the top of the pads.This pad will be where your worms reside.Now, fill water to half of the container.Afterwhich you will need a starter culture.Feed the worms regularly and remove those rotten food.The culture will multiply quickly then you subculture to many other cultures just in case another of your culture crash, then you will have a backup.Here is a picture of a culture of grindals feeding on dog food.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
rnkw

Wah. You triggering everyone's excitement then you ask us calm down. Haha. Maybe one day invite us down to your house. Where did you get your information from? Maybe we can read up also. I'll try googling.