Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 24-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

Nice report bro....Hv any pic of the fishes???
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
R_F
Dragon

Thanks for the report, nice one.
R_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #23
ah_ray
Dragon

very japan. very compartmentalised setup.
ah_ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #24
GupFan

Thanks guys.

Part II of my trip report.

More pics. Sorry my photo skill sux..hehe.

White german yellow tux. Yen15,750.

Blue grass swallow

Galaxy glass blue grass

White red tail Dunkeru (apparently it means dark german beer color). He spent a long time trying to explain this. This is one of his original strains he recommended. I had a video of this too which I will post on part III of my report.

Orange lace.

RREA german yellow tux

And the coolest of them all !!
AKB strain
If you follow J-pop, you would know the girl band AKB48. Google it if you don't know. I took a pic on my other camera, but it was a pathetic pic, will upload on my Part III report. It looks like a HB red, but with cool white spots all over body which look like "glitters". It gives a very celebrity star feel, that's why he calls it the AKB strain. Amazing strain, I'm sure he will try to perfect this strain further.

As you can see, the prices are pretty steep... but for a guppy fan like me, my eyes were affixed on the graceful beauties ignoring the price tags altogether.

Another cool news... there will be a guppy competition organised by Hideshima-san and gang happening in about a week's time at Showa kinen park, which is where I took the tulip pic. I'll ask him for photos to share with you guys.

In my next installment, I'll upload some videos.
I've bought one of his original strains (guess which it is!) which will be delivered to my hotel room tomorrow morning. My flight is tomorrow midnight, I hope all goes well. Will tell you guys more on my next installment.

Stay tuned.
Old 24-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
jest1081
Dragon

Red face

Thanks for this great updates! Wow. Just wow!
The red tails looks amazing! I hope you don't just purchase a pair. Survival rates can be quite low.

Last edited by jest1081; 24-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #26
DarkMind

Great updates! I have a request: is it possible for you to post higher resolution or bigger pictures?
Old 25-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #27
kskhonda

thanks for ur report! great efforts to go all the way down
Old 25-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #28
GupFan

Part III

Bro Jest, yea I thought about purchasing more, but since this is my first experimental attempt, I thought I'd just purchase one pair for now. I'll be coming to Japan quite frequently, probably once a month for a week, so there should be plenty of opportunities.

Guys, here are two videos I promised. Sorry I apologise again that my photo skill sux.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Blue grass swallow tail.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dunkeru guppies.

This is a short installment. I will post again once I returned home.
Old 26-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
ah_ray
Dragon

now i know who to look for if i want guppy fr Jap
ah_ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #30
GupFan

Final installment of my 1st Japan field report

My package arrived yesterday.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see such quality packaging. I was half expecting the gups to come in standard clear plastic bags so I kinda planned to buy a container from the nearby 100yen shop for repacking.

So anyway, I carefullly open the styrofoam box to inspect the treasure.

Very nicely wrapped. Male on the left, female on the right, neatly tucked within the newspaper cushion. The gups are wrapped in double layer plastic to prevent leaking. I reseal the box and stuff it in my suitcase. All ready to board the plane home.

I checked in my suitcase and asked for a "fragile" tag. I know it probably won't help much, but better than nothing. The flight home is almost 7hrs.

Touchdown. Suitcase collected, walked past customs, no problem.
I did a brief check on the gups upon exiting customs, they are still alive! Nice. Thanks to quality impeccable Japanese packaging!

Once I arrived back at home, the assimilation process starts. The styrofoam box acts like an insulator, temperature of the gup water is still very cold. Japan is still in mid-spring, when I left it was about 12-13 degrees. I pour them out to a small bucket and let the temperature slowly reach normal Singapore level, then replace one cup of water with my tank's water. The process continues for another 4 more pours, took about 3 hours in total.

I'm happy to report that they are much alive and kicking.
Here's a short video of them.
YouTube Video

My next trip to Japan will be in June. I'm ready to take orders for any bros here who are interested. I'll post the strains and approx prices when it's closer to my trip.

In the meantime, I'll try to source for more Japanese breeders.