Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 27-08-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
ManaMana

redcross Urgent: How to save my goldfish?

Dear members,

I'm a new member who stay in clementi. Please offer advices. I have only six fishes in my tank. It all began after i have clean the filter after abt 2 mths. The next day, several diseases break out at once. 3 of my goldfish become listless, later i found out they suffer from tail rot. The other 3 began to have white spot all over on their skin, i believe it is ich. So I decided to use "Rid-All" lotion to clean the tank.

In the meanwhile i quarantine the fish into my tank 2 for the next day. I added "Rid-All" lotion into the tank 2 which has no filter. Apparently all the symptom disappear overnite. The fish is no longer listless & can have good appetite. So i decided to put them all back into the main tank.

The next day, once i wake up to check the fish. To my horror, all the symptom came back with a vengance. Now all my fish are infected in more horrible condition than ever!!!

Now i have to quarantine the fish again. I put them into 2 different tank, they seem to recover slowly. It seem the main tank is infected. As after i transfer the fish into tank 2 the symptom disappear, only when i put them back did they become infected again.

Please dun tell me to kill my fish, although they are not like the expensive arros. I still love my fish very much.

My questions are:

Should i use rid-out on the fish again?

Is the problem with the filter or water in the main tank?

Should i change all the water & clean the filter in the main tank again?

Can Rid-All kill all the parasites?

Any contingency plan from experienced member to save the fish will be appreciated.

How do i prevent the same scenario again?

Last edited by ManaMana; 27-08-2002 at 01:26 PM.
Old 27-08-2002, 01:27 PM   #2
si|ver
Senior Dragon

Default Re: Urgent: How to save my goldfish?

Quote:
Originally posted by ManaMana
Dear members,

I'm a new member who stay in clementi. Please offer advices. I have only six fishes in my tank. It all began after i have clean the filter after abt 2 mths. The next day, several diseases break out at once. 3 of my goldfish become listless, later i found out they suffer from tail rot. The other 3 began to have white spot all over on their skin, i believe it is ich. So I decided to use "Rid-All" lotion to clean the tank.

In the meanwhile i quarantine the fish into my tank 2 for the next day. I added "Rid-All" lotion into the tank 2 which has no filter. Apparently all the symptom disappear overnite. The fish is no longer listless & can have good appetite. So i decided to put them all back into the main tank.

The next day, once i wake up to check the fish. To my horror, all the symptom came back with a vengance. Now all my fish are infected in more horrible condition than ever!!!

Now i have to quarantine the fish again. I put them into 2 different tank, they seem to recover slowly. It seem the main tank is infected. As after i transfer the fish into tank 2 the symptom disappear, only when i put them back did they become infected again.

Please dun tell me to kill my fish, although they are not like the expensive arros. I still love my fish very much.

My questions are:

Should i use rid-out on the fish again?

Is the problem with the filter or water in the main tank?

Should i change all the water & clean the filter in the main tank again?

Can Rid-All kill all the parasites?

Any contingency plan from experienced member to save the fish will be appreciated.

How do i prevent the same scenario again?
Hi there, I'm not an expert at goldfishes.. But from what u r describing, it does seems like the problem lies w/ yr main tank..

I think u should try washing the tank throughly and wash the filter and change the cotton inside too..Try putting salt in yr main tank w/ the water and let it run for a day before introducing yr fish back inside.. As for rid-All.. i have no idea abt that but if you says it did cure the fishes then i think there should be no major problems

Most disease in fishes are due to the quality of water.. Make sure yr water is not dirty. Scoop out leftover food when they can't finish.

I'm not an expert in goldfishes though I have an colleague who have goldfishes and has met similar incidents like you. Hope this helps. Nobody except for some will ask u to kill yr fishes...We all love our fishes right? Save it till the very end..
si|ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2002, 02:39 PM   #3
optimus prime

hmmmmm, through my experience, i change water 100%-include evrything inside the tank. put the salt- (1 spoon per 1 ft tank).wait for a few days before put back the fish in. and pls, buy a better medicine rather than the $1 rid-all.goodluck, im a goldfish lover too.
Old 28-08-2002, 03:20 PM   #4
t_tsen
Dragon

hi,

the white spot that is occuring is in the main tank.

as you have mentioned earlier on that there are several dieseas happening, care to elaborate on the rest other than white spots?

wash your main tank and sun it dry for a couple of days. top up with fresh water n 5% coarse salt & run for another day. btw, what size is yr tank?

discard the 'run' water from the previous day. fill up with ffresh water again. and add 3% coarse salt to the tank. turn up air pump to circulate the tank.

WASH and SUN all the filter media and filter parts. replace when you have done your final water top up.

return fish with some quarantine tank water to the main tank, and observe.

NOTE: keep your 'infected' fish in the quarantine tank for a week after you don't see anymore signs and symptoms. coz' it may appear in the main tank again after transferring back.

cheers and all the best.

Regards,
Thau Ming

Last edited by t_tsen; 28-08-2002 at 03:23 PM.
t_tsen is offline   Reply With Quote