Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 07-10-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
monsterz1975

Default Beckett or aqua-medic

Bro which skimmer will u go for a 4x2x2.5 with sump 2.5x1.5x1.5 , a beckett or aqua-medic turboflotor mutil sl?
Old 07-10-2004, 01:23 AM   #2
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Bro which skimmer will u go for a 4x2x2.5 with sump 2.5x1.5x1.5 , a beckett or aqua-medic turboflotor mutil sl?
beckett lar...the more powerful the better....
Old 07-10-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
beckett lar...the more powerful the better....
But feedback from pro told me that if u wana go for beckett go for the giant cos the small one got not enough reaction time.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:37 AM   #4
ah^siao

check this out...
http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=23107
it's much better using a beckett..
this 8 inch body is with a 30 inch body.. so the reaction time is enough.. and in this 4 footer.. there is only 50kgof live rock and 24 dispar anthais...
the skimmer has only been running for the 2nd day..
Old 07-10-2004, 01:45 AM   #5
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah^siao
check this out...
http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=23107
it's much better using a beckett..
this 8 inch body is with a 30 inch body.. so the reaction time is enough.. and in this 4 footer.. there is only 50kgof live rock and 24 dispar anthais...
the skimmer has only been running for the 2nd day..
Bro he the seller of this beckett so what do u think. No offence har .
Old 07-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #6
Ekia

There are many things to take into consideration. If u r just considering solely on PERFORMANCE, beckett is definitely better than TurboFlotor Multi SL. However, I think the nim74sg's Aqua-Medic shorty 5000 can fight the beckett but price is doubled on the turboflotor..

PRICE wise.. with so many local made products, beckett is rather cheap now.. just about $100 more expensive than the turboflotor.... so not much difference to talk.

MAINTENANCE is the main difference. With the ever increase electricity tariffs, do u want to run a 130w china pump 24hrs a day? The turboflotor is running a ocean runner needlewheel pump at only 36w.

Weigh the Pros and Cons and see which skimmer suits u better.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
fkadir

Deciding on a skimmer and performance is your main criteria? Nuthing beats a Bubbleking nowadays, but cost $$$.. save you a lot of recurring electrical charges since its using a RD pump.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
nitro

Default Beckett or needle wheel

Beckett and the needle wheel, which is better????? This has been discussed by many.

Beckett or Heissner need to be driven by a very powerful pump and the skimmer is generally larger.

Needle wheel only need a small pump to drive and the size is normally smaller.

In fact i've DIYed and tested the Beckett, Heissner, mazzei and the needle wheel. And i have also combined the mazzei injector and the needle wheel.

I find that the Beckett or Heissner need more maintenance. You'll have to dismantle and clean the injector once there is a drop in performance. Fine tuning it is also a task.

The needle wheel is alot easier on the maintenance. There is no injector housing, just need to remove the needle wheel to clean (if that is ever needed).

As for the combination of the mazzei injector and the needle wheel. I must say...it "rocks". Both produces fine bubbles.

Do some study and you'll find your answer. At the end of the day, get something that suits you best.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #9
monsterz1975

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
devilfire

monster bro, sit down n think wat u really 1. wat is ur main concern-perfromance? electricity consumption? ease of maintenance? space?....

i'll joining bro lvcap soon.